6 Steps to Remodeling Success
Time to remodel your salon? Whether you're ready for a complete overhaul or a simple spruce-up, a little careful, long-term planning goes a long way toward keeping your ideas, goals, costs and timing under control.
Here, Jenny Dugan, project manager for the interior design group at Belvedere USA Corporation, offers the following guidelines for organizing your next remodeling project.
Shampoo stations at New York's sleek, ultra-modern Bon-Bon Salon.
1. FIND A LOOK YOU LIKE. Start a scrapbook of tear sheets, samples and colors that represent the look and feel you want to create. Use this as a guide for conveying your wants and needs to salon designers.
2. PUT YOUR DESIGN TEAM IN PLACE. Start talking to your design team at least six to eight months prior to your remodeling start date. In addition to recommendations and word of mouth, a good source for design assistance is your equipment distributor.
3. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Once your floor plan and designs are finalized, start interviewing general contractors. Make sure that all details are confirmed in writing, including start and finish dates, colors and furniture, and all associated costs.
4. TAKE CARE OF DETAILS IN ADVANCE. Set meetings with the designer and contractor throughout the process, particularly if you're staying open during the remodeling. Doing this ensures you'll be able to service your customers comfortably and professionally from the start of the project to completion.
5. ALLOW FOR UNEXPECTED DELAYS. Begin the purchasing process for your furniture and equipment at least 90 days before your expected opening. This should provide an ample cushion of time for any backorders or other delays.
6. ROLL OUT THE RED CARPET. Finally, be sure to make the most of your remodeling by issuing a press release or holding media days announcing your new space.
For more information on remodeling, visit www.belvedereusa.com, or call (800) 435-5491.