In addition to serving as senior editor for American Salon, Jolene Turner is responsible for spearheading the publication's digital media activities. Turner writes and researches topics related to hair and skincare, from new technological advancements to what salon owners are doing to make their businesses a success. Outside of work, Jolene volunteers for the NYC-based non-profit Anjellicle Cats Rescue and writes and performs comedy theater.
Salma Hayek Oscar 2013 Transformation—Celeb to Reality—by Jennifer MacDougall and Liz Olivier
On the night of the Oscars, while the stars lined the red carpet and began accepting awards, I was in the midst of a Oscar Twitter party that led to me getting transformed into Hollywood starlet Salma Hayek thanks to L’Oréal Professionnel Artist Jennifer MacDougal and celebrity makeup artist Liz Olivier.
During a hair and makeup industry Oscar Twitter party, Macdougall and Olivier sought out two favorite looks, one brunette and one blonde and recreated both looks before Jennifer Lawrence was named Best Actress of 2013.
The updo of Amanda Seyfried was gorgeously done on Maria and can be seen, while I was happily transformed into Salma Hayek! Okay I will admit I did get nervous when my bangs began to be swept away, but I finally let the experts take over.
Below is my transformation and the how-tos!
How-To for Salma Hayek’s Bombshell Bun by Jennifer Macdougall:
1. Apply L’Oréal Professionnel Or Graphic to create a sleek texture at the hairline.
2. Separate hair into two sections, securing top section with an elastic and bottom section with bobby pins.
3. Spray L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium
4 hairspray throughout hair. 4. Backcomb the top section, then wrap into a knot and secure with pins.
5. Wrap and smooth bottom half section around the knotted ponytail to build shape and add volume.
6. Spray hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 4 and secure with u-pins.
Salma Hayek’s sultry smoky eye in 5 easy steps by Liz Olivier:
1. Base the eyelid with a nude shadow – it makes the dark shadow blend better.
2. Use a bronze color eye shadow on the lid and blend into the crease of the eye, extending it to the outer eye. Intensify the eye with a black eye shadow by blending the color into the crease and extending it to the outer eye. Don't forget the under-eye corner as well.
3. Use a thin brush and apply liquid liner along the top and bottom lash line and blend it using a small tip blending brush while the liquid liner is still wet, creating a soft smoky eye. (Tip: Blend the liquid liner right into the bottom lash line so there is on separation between the black liquid liner and the lashes.)
4. Use a black waterproof eyeliner inside the eye
5. Highlight the brow bone and inside corners of the eyes with a shimmery light flesh tone eye shadow.
All photography by Anthony Friend with the exception of image of Salma Hayek (Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic; courtesy of L’Oréal Professionnel) and Jolene's before photo.