Eco Brief: Eco-Tips from Organic Salon Systems
Technical Director Rebecca Gregory and Creative Consultant Jennifer Andrews of Organic Salon Systems spilled their green tips to American Salon for our Eco-Brief series—tips you can use all year long to save money, save salon resources and save the Earth. We like that! Check it out below. —Aja Edwards
- Sign up for "Green Energy" with your local electric company: Did you know that now over half of Americans have the option of purchasing green power from their utility company? Find out how you can buy and use green power by visiting the Department of Energy’s state-by-state list of providers. You can also check with your local utility company to see what is available to you.
- Turn down the thermostat: It definitely pays to give your thermostat a break at night. For every degree you turn down your thermostat, you’ll save one to three percent on your monthly bill.
- Product options: Use and offer non-toxic, biodegradable products/color in your salon that are equally safe for our bodies and earth.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle: Remember that most things can be recycled. Keeping a recycle bin near mixing areas, stylists’ stations and client waiting areas can help in reusing our materials and reducing the amount of waste that goes into landfills.
- Refill program for retail sales: Start a refill program with your clients and have them bring back their empty product bottles so they can be filled again. This greatly reduces bottle waste, production costs and materials. Also, it can sometimes be cheaper to purchase gallons to re-fill versus buying more retail sized bottles.
- Bike it: Designate a day a week that any client riding their bike to the salon gets a perk on their service. For example, give them a discount on eco-friendly retail, a complimentary scalp massage or a condition treatment with carbon neutral products.
- Go paperless: Ask before printing receipts because most end up not being of any use to clients and end up in the trash instead.
- Turn off computers: Save energy and wear and tear on your equipment by turning off computers at night. It can help save an average of $100.00 a year on electric bills.
- Offer re-usable eco-friendly retail bags: Instead of plastic bags, consider purchasing bags made of natural fibers to encourage multiple reuses.
- Market your salon and save the Earth: To advertise and save the planet at the same time, purchase eco-friendly water bottles stamped with the salon’s logo.