American Salon Staff
1. GO WILD
Cowshed's playfully named Wild Cow Invigorating Bath & Shower Gel contains a fresh blend of essential oils of lemongrass, ginger and rosemary that revitalizes the mind and refreshes the body. cowshedonline.com
PHOTOGRAPHY: LARS KLOVEE
2. BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION
Cognitive behavioral therapist Danielle Fleming's Danielle and Company organic body care products are formulated to be good for the mind, body and soul. The Modern Man Shea Body Wash seen here, for example, is designed to elevate men's moods and build confidence. danielleandcompany.com
3. BUFF AND POLISH
The Solitude Papaya Body Polish from Pañpuri utilizes papaya's natural enzyme, papain, to gently slough away dead skin cells, while sandalwood cleanses and soothes, and honey and shea butter moisturize the skin. panpuri.com
4. SLOW BURN
K. Hall Designs' Nag Champa Printed Candle has a smoky, sensual, floral aroma blended with soy and beeswax, and will burn for a full 100 hours. khalldesigns.com
5. WASH CYCLE
Aromatherapy Synergy Flowing Soap in Absolute Dreams from Linden Leaves is a liquid hand and body cleanser scented with a mellow blend of lavender, sandalwood, cedar and orange to balance, calm and relax. lindenleavesusa.com
6. SPANISH EYES
The black Maria Evora Soap from Spain bears the image of the legendary Spanish beauty, who was famous for her patina skin and deep black eyes, and contains Spanish sea salt and carob for gentle exfoliation and cleansing. kalastyle.com
7. PETITE TREAT
Tuck the new Petit Parfum Solides from TokyoMilk into your bag for discreet, on-the-go perfume applications. Each solid perfume, in 10 scents including Satsuma and Marie, can be worn alone or mixed for a customized scent. tokyo-milk.com
8. HEALING WATERS
Reminiscent of The Roosevelt Baths in Saratoga Springs, NY, Farmaesthetics' Solar Salt Mineral Bath in Field Lavender is meant to detoxify and remineralize the body while softening and de-stressing the skin and mind. farmaesthetics.com
Eight brand-new products you just have to check out
Andis RAX Clipper combines a powerful, maintenance-free rotary motor with an adjustable ceramic blade to deliver consistent performance. The clipper is compact and features an adjustable blade to cut all hair, from fine to coarse, and sleek black housing made of no-slip grip material designed to reduce hand fatigue. andis.com
BORN TO SHINE
Enjoy Super Hold Hair Spray is a quick-drying spray with an extra-firm, flexible hold. Perfect for all hair types, it gives hair volume, shine and control without frizz. It acts as a thermal protectant and resists humidity for longer-lasting styles but also washes out easily without product buildup, leaving hair feeling soft and looking shiny. enjoyhaircare.com
GET A GRIP
The Gel Grips Styling Collection by Conair consists of five brushes in different sizes and styles to create any desired look. Each brush features a soft gel handle that conforms to the contours of the hand, a flexible cushion to prevent hair breakage and ball-tip bristles to reduce snags and pulls while detangling and smoothing hair. conair.com
Redken Mineral Elixir Dazzling Smoothing Oil is a shine spray that provides light conditioning and control with intense frizz-fighting power. It contains cationic conditioners, protein, ceramide and shea butter to restore dry hair, lock in moisture, help block humidity, smooth split ends and leave hair frizz free. free.redken.com
PRESS YOUR LUCK
Hot Off The Press Thermal Protection Spray by Paul Mitchell contains rice hull extract to build a weightless barrier between fragile strands and damaging heat tools and wheat proteins to deliver extra strength. This humidity-resistant multipurpose formula grips and controls during heat styling and provides flexible hold for finished styles. paulmitchell.com
Logics Color DNA System Styling Collection features a range of haircare products infused with ceramide to strengthen hair, and vitamin E and UV filters to protect hair's vibrancy. Four new additions to the collection include Seismic Crushed Gel (pictured), Full Scale Root Finisher, Matthesive Sculpting Whip and Gelastic Gel Cream. logicshair.com
A TIME TO HEAL
L'Anza Healing Strength Neem Plant Silk Serum heals and strengthens hair without leaving residue. It contains natural ingredients that add incredible shine without weighing hair down, provides protection from damaging UV rays, preserves haircolor, reduces drying and styling time and provides thermal protection. Hair is left feeling silky. lanza.com
TURN UP THE HEAT
Salon Tech Titanium 450 is a hairstyling iron with titanium plates that provide durability and heat up to 450 F for professional hair straightening and for use during Brazilian keratin treatments. Available with 1-inch and 1.5-inch plates, this iron also features a built-in microprocessor that heats in 17 seconds with a five-second heat recovery. salontech.com
THE LAP OF LUXURY
Even in tough economic times, clients will spend a little more on haircare products if they offer real benefits.
You get what you pay for. It might be a cliché but it's true nonetheless. The products on this page, for example, are more expensive than many other brands, but in terms of the results they deliver, they're worth it.
1. Tela Beauty Organics by Philip Pelusi is dedicated to creating innovative products from sustainable resources. The USDA-certified organic line of shampoos, conditioners and styling products includes Guardian, a lightweight, greaseless sun guard.
2. Pureology contains an exclusive blend of antioxidants and UVA/UVB full-spectrum sunscreens, maximizing color protection. NanoWorks LuxuryHairMasque is the ultimate antiaging treatment with an antioxidant fruit synthesis of açai berry, pomegranate and blueberry.
3. Davines Glorifying Treatment Colour Protective/Leave In contains powerful ingredients to protect color, fight aging and increase shine.
4. Number 4 High Performance Haircare Hydrating Shampoo, like all of the products in the line, contains four signature Liquid Complexes that deliver antiaging, strengthening and color-preserving results.
5. Leonor Greyl Masque Quintessence is infused with natural ingredients, many of which are certified by Ecocert, including cupuaçu oil from the Amazon and manketti oil from northern Namibia in Africa. Think of it as the last resort for damaged hair.
6. Kevin Murphy Full-On Protection Heat Protecting Texture Spray is enriched with aloe and X-HP Complex, which has been shown to protect hair 114 percent more than other heat protection products on the market. It's also naturally paraben- and sulfate-free.
7. René Furterer Complexe 5 Regenerating Concentrate with stimulating essential oils of orange and lavender activates the scalp's microcirculation, allowing deeper penetration of active ingredients in scalp treatments.
8. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Seasilk Moisture Shampoo has a combination of marine botanicals that provide intense moisture while increasing follicle hydration and moisture retention with a green tea and bergamot scent.
9. Phyto Phytonectar Ultra-Nourishing Shampoo for Ultra-Dry Hair is a superthick emulsion of botanical extracts and oils that gently cleanses, nourishes and revives even the most dehydrated, brittle hair. Soybean restructures the hair fiber, orange blossom extract nourishes and softens, and St. John's Wort protects the hair from external stress factors.
10. Oribe Hair Care Signature Moisture Masque is a superrich, indulgent treatment for the hair. Lychee and watermelon extracts defend hair from oxidative stress, amber extract contains conditioning and strengthening properties, and sunflower seed extract delivers incredible shine. —MARIANNE DOUGHERTY
Changes in temperature can cause skin to become dry and flaky, but we found 10 fabulous products that improve hydration and skin tone.
Recommend products this winter that hydrate and lock in moisture to relieve dry skin.
1. MURAD ACTIVE RADIANCE SERUM is designed to stimulate the skin's natural defense system and help cells resist UV-induced damage associated with an active, outdoor lifestyle. The first product on the market to introduce Murad's latest vitamin C technology, Active Radiance Serum delivers the highest levels of stability in a vitamin C complex, ensuring that the last drop is as efficacious as the first and helping the user achieve immediate radiance, enhanced collagen synthesis and the neutralizing of free radicals. Clinically proven to firm skin up to 64 percent in 15 minutes and to brighten and renew the skin in one week, Active Radiance Serum actually improves cell regeneration. murad.com
2. LIERAC CRÈME MÉSOLIFT ANTI-AGING RADIANCE was inspired by a dermatology technique called facial mesotherapy—micro-injections of a revitalizing cocktail of vitamins, minerals and hyaluronic acid that accelerates cellular metabolism to impart radiance, reduce the visible signs of aging and improve skin quality. Crème Mésolift Anti-Aging Radiance contains highly concentrated and nourishing active ingredients like vitamins A, C, E, B5 and B6; minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc and manganese; and hyaluronic acid. An added bonus: The rich and creamy formula is pleasant to use. lierac-usa.com
3. AVEDA BOTANICAL KINETICS HYDRATING LOTION delivers a surge of essential hydration to the skin's surface without greasiness. The concentrated yet gentle formula also helps to protect against the environmental factors that cause dryness and irritation so skin feels smooth and velvety. Jojoba oil mimics the skin's natural oil, making it an extraordinarily effective moisturizer. Rice, palm and coconut oils provide moisturizers and emollients that firm and condition the skin, improving its suppleness and resiliency. Meanwhile, chamomile and lavender soothe skin for a soft, supple texture. aveda.com
4. REPÊCHAGE HYDRA DEW MOISTURIZING DAY CREAM helps restore skin's natural hydro-lipid layer by binding moisture between the cells, ensuring lasting comfort and deep hydration. Think of it as a potent cocktail of liquid refreshment for the skin. A complex of water lily and the amino acid palmitoyl proline helps soothe skin, while mango butter, almond, sesame and sunflower contain high levels of vitamins E, B1 and B2, plus niacin, calcium and iron—nutrients necessary for healthy skin. Meanwhile, codium tomenentosum seaweed boosts moisture on contact. Research has shown that this seaweed actually increases the moisture content of the external layer of the skin by 50 percent and of the whole epidermis by 20 percent. repechage.com
5. BABOR SKINOVAGE NANOCELL AGE PROTECTING CREAM is a 24-hour face cream that significantly prolongs the life of skin stem cells, which are the key to looking young. Thanks to breakthrough biotechnology, highly concentrated herbal stem cells from the Uttwiler spätlauber, a rare variety of Swiss apple, rejuvenate the skin's complexion in a previously unimaginable way. Another plus: Skinovage Nanocell has a smoothing effect on the skin's surface. babor.com
6. SONYA DAKAR ORGANIC OMEGA BOOSTER FOR DRY, SENSITIVE SKIN is 100 percent organic and vegan. All it takes are a couple of drops massaged into the face and neck to strengthen, calm and balance dry, sensitive skin. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids nourish from the inside out to help replace lost moisture by duplicating the skin's natural oil balance. Key ingredients include organic, cosmeceutical-grade flaxseed oil, chamomile, lavender, carrot, honey, geranium, rosewood, neroli oil and apple extract to hydrate and protect sensitive skin from irritation. Clients with acne or other skin conditions like rosacea or eczema will also benefit from using the product regularly. sonyadakar.com
7. ALCHIMIE FOREVER KANTIC MASK is a luscious, creamy moisture mask packed with natural botanicals that calm, protect and alleviate redness. Oats, known for their softening properties, are combined with wild pansies to speed the recovery of distressed skin and reduce irritation. Antioxidants from grape extracts protect the skin from environmental stress, while blueberries help to rejuvenate and quell redness. Created at Forever Laser Institut in Switzerland by Dr. Luigi Polla, a dermatologist, and Dr. Barbara Polla, a leader in biomedical research on antioxidants and stress proteins, Alchimie Forever utilizes nature's most powerful extracts to preserve skin's youthfulness. The company is a member of SwissCos, a nonprofit organization that regulates the use of the "made in Switzerland" label in the realm of cosmetics and skincare. Membership is conditional upon proof of Swiss manufacture. alchimie-forever.com
8. DOCTOR D. SCHWAB C.S. CITRUSOME is a unique nighttime serum that protects cells against long-term oxidative stress-related damage. The secret? A concentration of highly active stabilized vitamin C ester in unique alphasomes that creates a powerful antioxidant effect. Parent company CA Botana is a natural skincare company whose products were developed by drawing information from Ayurvedic medicine; Chinese, ancient Egyptian and American Indian herbology; and aromatherapy, along with the expertise of skilled herbalists and physiotherapists. The company's philosophy—continuous research in harmony with nature—is reflected in every formula that they develop. doctorschwabca.com
9. LUXTURAL SOPHISTICATED VEIL FACIAL ANTI-AGING DEEP MOISTURIZING SERUM is different from other products on the market in that it uses pure Pacific rain water collected in a fresh, clean location before it ever reaches the ground, so it's free of toxins and other contaminants. The formulation combines carefully selected ingredients and rare herbal extracts with microencapsulated anti-aging components, including seaweed and peptides. Evening primrose and rose hip also provide a shot of skin-plumping moisture to the skin. What's more, the product is free of parabens and mineral oil. The innovative scent? A special blend of essential oils. Clinical studies have shown that skin retained 81 percent of hydration within six hours after application. Rumor has it that it's Angelina Jolie's miracle moisturizer, but mere mortals love it, too. luxtural.com
10. CREME DE LA MER MOISTURIZING CREAM was conceived under extraordinary circumstances. Years ago, aerospace physicist Dr. Max Huber suffered severe chemical burns when a routine experiment exploded in his face. Twelve years and 6,000 experiments later, he perfected the cream that would help give skin a dramatically smoother appearance. Creme de la Mer defies the laws of nature. There is nothing miraculous about its ingredients—sea kelp, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, lecithin, and vitamins C, E and B12, plus oils of citrus, eucalyptus, wheat germ, alfalfa and sunflower. For Huber, it wasn't the ingredients themselves but the way they were distilled that made all the difference. The slow-biofermentation process takes three to four months to complete, but the ingredients are transformed into a whole far greater than the sum of its parts. In a short time, skin becomes noticeably softer and firmer. Aging lines and pores are less visible. Even the driest of complexions are healed and sensitivities soothed. What's not to like? cremedelamer.com —MARIANNE DOUGHERTY