Handle with Care
Clients may fight frizzies in summer and flyaways in winter, but no matter what time of year, their hands always take a beating. With this in mind, Simone, director of reflexology and nail services at New York City's Gil Ferrer Salon, has turned her attention to hand-care services that can be targeted to clients as either individual treatments or add-ons that can be done while color processes or the client is under the dryer. Each hones in on a specific hand-care need—from soothing skin irritation to intensive moisturizing—and incorporates hand reflexology massage, using King Research's new Love and Kisses protective cream. Designed specifically to soothe and protect professional estheticians' hands from exposure to shampoos, salon chemicals and other irritants, this rich hand and body cream seals in moisture, penetrates quickly and restores skin to its natural suppleness. Each service can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, so they're not only simple, they're profitable; at Gil Ferrer, the prices range from $40 for a 30-minute treatment performed at the stylist's chair, to $65 for a 45-minute session in the salon's quiet skincare room. They include:
- The Hand Shake. Whip up an anti-aging "smoothie" for the hands, mixing Love and Kisses cream with avocado (for moisturizing), strawberries (for vitamin C), or papaya (for exfoliating enzymes). Immerse hands in mixture for 10 minutes; rinse and follow with a reflexology massage.
- Citrus Hand Spa. Whiten nails and give hands a healthy anti-bacterial treatment: Place fingertips into half a grapefruit for two minutes; the citric acid and enzymes dissolve discoloration from nail polish, nicotine and other stains. Rinse hands and follow with a reflexology massage.
- The Daily Grind. Offer this treatment for irritated or sensitive hands: Mix a small amount of ground oatmeal or oat flour with Love and Kisses cream; use with reflexology hand massage for 10 minutes. Rinse and apply a finishing coat of the cream.
- The Ultimate Hand Spa. Massage the hands and arms up to the elbows with an exfoliating mixture of sea salt, a few drops of lavender oil and a light oil, such as safflower, soy or flaxseed. Rinse and pat dry. Apply a mask of egg yolk, honey and olive oil; leave on 5 minutes. Rinse and pat dry; perform reflexology massage with Love and Kisses cream.
- Winter Warmer. Apply Love and Kisses liberally from fingertips to wrists; insert hands in heated gloves for 10 minutes. Remove gloves and follow with a reflexology massage.
For more information, call (800) 222-8160, or contact your local King Research distributor.