As Editor in Chief of American Salon, Kelley Donahue reports on all aspects of the professional beauty industry, including salon business-building strategies, seasonal hair and fashion trends, salon services and techniques, and timely issues impacting manufacturers, schools, salons and distributor principals. In addition to conducting photo shoots--one of which was the recipient of an ABBIES Award for Best Magazine Cover--Donahue also travels extensively throughout the U.S. and abroad, sourcing out new trends and representing American Salon at major industry functions and educational events.
They may call it the good old summertime, but let's face it: Those hazy, hot and humid days can be a real bummer when it comes to taming clients' out-of-control hair. Fortunately, Nick Arrojo, special creative artist for Wella and owner of Arrojo Studio in New York, has plenty of tricks up his sleeve for calming frizz frustrations. Here are some of his favorites.
- Summer rays, wind and heat can take a punishing toll on locks, making them look and feel as dry as the desert. To combat frizz, reach for a super-rich, hydrating shampoo like Biotouch Nutri-Care Frizz Control Nutrition Shampoo from Wella, which is loaded with jojoba oil and pro-vitamin B5 to promote shine and moisture. When shampooing, be especially careful to only massage the scalp area to remove excess oil. This allows the strands and ends to retain their natural oils.
- To create a satin-smooth finish on frizzy hair, add a pea-size dollop of Wella's Biotouch Nutri-Care Frizz Control Nutrition Leave-in Cream to your favorite styling product; then blow-dry the hair, directing the airflow down the hair shaft.
- When dealing with a head of unruly hair, it's wise to allow strands to dry naturally and completely without disturbing them. Once the hair is fully dry, loosen the shape by shaking it out with your hands from underneath instead of pulling your fingers through the ends.
- Advise clients who spend weekends by the pool or beach to pack an ultra-moisturizing conditioner in their tote bag. One of Arrojo's faves–Biotouch Nutri-Care Frizz Control Leave-In Cream from Wella–should be applied and combed through locks before exposure to sun or surf. This protects haircolor and prevents hair from further damage or drying.
- Recommend frequent trims. Arrojo has his clients come in every six to eight weeks.