As Editor in Chief of American Salon, Kelley Donahue reports on all aspects of the professional beauty industry, including salon business-building strategies, seasonal hair and fashion trends, salon services and techniques, and timely issues impacting manufacturers, schools, salons and distributor principals. In addition to conducting photo shoots--one of which was the recipient of an ABBIES Award for Best Magazine Cover--Donahue also travels extensively throughout the U.S. and abroad, sourcing out new trends and representing American Salon at major industry functions and educational events.
Touching Tribute - Workshop
A sought-after hair expert in the entertainment and beauty industries, Tippi Shorter is recognized for her ability to transform wavy and coiled hair into styles enhanced with perfectly crafted textures. “Some women have beautiful, natural texture they can just wash and go, while others—me included—have textures that constantly need to be reshaped and defined using Aveda’s amazing arsenal of hairstyling products,” says the Aveda global artistic director for textured hair. Here, Shorter shares how to create her signature flat twist set, which tames unruly curls in need of more definition. “The hair is twisted in small sections from the crown to the ends, then set with Aveda Be Curly products for sculpted curls that can be worn twisted on day one and untwisted on the following ones for ultimate hairstyling versatility,” she says.
PHOTOGRAPHY: ADAM BETTCHER FOR AVEDA
1. Shampoo and condition the hair with Aveda Be Curly Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Apply Be Curly Style-Prep to damp hair, and gently detangle the curls.
3. Working section by section, apply Be Curly Curl Controller and Phomollient Styling Foam to each area, then create a traveling twist that lays flat against the head, starting at the crown and twisting to the ends. For looser curls that need firmer shaping at the ends, roll and secure the ends on perm rods in about 10 sections.
4. Place the hair under a hooded dryer for 30 to 40 minutes until completely dry.
5. Untwist the curls. Next, emulsify three or four drops of Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil into the hands, working the oil through the hair starting at the ends and moving toward the crown. Manipulate the curls with the hands until the desired shape is achieved. ✂ —Kelley Donahue