Workshop - Shabby Chic
Part of Schwarzkopf Professional’s Spring/Summer 2014 Essential Looks collection, this creation from the brand’s global ambassadors Tyler Johnston and Lesley Jennison and guest ambassador Matty Conrad boasts statement-making details. “A color-fusing technique plays up red tonal combinations while the hairstyle’s flattering internal shape creates added interest,” Johnston says. Here’s how to get the look.
1. Prep hair with the Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Fibre Force range, which delivers an intense keratin injection for all hair types, then work in a bit of BC Bonacure Fibre Force Spray Conditioner, using the product as a detangling and cutting lotion.
2. Create a slightly rounded offset section to the right in the top area for asymmetry. Start the haircut with vertical sections on the left side, directing the hair straight out and cutting a diagonal guide short to long (approximately 2 to 3 inches in length).
3. Take parallel sections around the head shape. Drop the top section and create freehand texture by making horizontal sections and slicing into the hair while working with the direction the hair grows.
4. Using a color-fusing technique, follow the sectioning of the haircut to apply the hue. Apply Igora Royal Permanent Color Creme with vibrant red tones (-88 Intensive Red Series), alternating from a level 4 to a level 6, in the top section on diagonal slices and level 5-88 for the base tone. “This is a great place to accentuate what you want to achieve, such as opening up an area on the face with a lighter tone or framing or drawing in the light using darker shades,” Johnston says.
5. After rinsing and treating the hair with BC Color Save Color Shine Shampoo and Conditioner, mist strands with BC Color Save Spray Conditioner.
6. To finish, work a nickel-sized amount of Osis+ Session Label Silk Shine Cream through the midlengths and ends, applying it to the scalp area last. Next, flat-wrap strands with a vent brush. To amplify texture, apply Osis+ Session Label Salt Spray and shake with fingers, then use a small amount of Osis+ Session Label Molding Paste to create matte pieces. For the grand finale, mist the hair with Osis+ Session Label Flexible Hold Hairspray Instant Dry to lock in the style and ensure a perfect, moveable finish. schwarzkopf-professionalusa.com ✂ —Kelley Donahue
Photography: Sabine Liewald; Makeup: Alexandra Byrne