Recently I was presenting a seminar and a salon owner asked a question which I then opened up to the audience. The question was “What is your salon policy on family members paying for salon services?” To put it mildly, it was like opening the proverbial can of worms. There were 16 variations of salon policy from the salon owners, some of which included:
- Everyone pays full price. No exceptions.
- Immediate family are free if it’s outside normal salon hours. Otherwise, it’s full price.
- Family members are charged if it’s during salon hours but free if it’s on the stylist’s day off.
- All family members get a 'X'% discount. All family pay for all color services but don't pay for haircuts.
- Haircut and color service is free but they pay ‘X’ for each color product used.
- Family under the age of 18 are free, but only on Monday.
Who is right? I don’t think that there is necessarily a ‘right’ answer, but I know what I would do. Watch below to hear more.