Finding the right salon to work in is one of the most important choices as a beauty professional. Whether you are an assistant or a stylist, making the right choice can make or break your career. In today’s world, there are a variety of salons that are all striving for the same things: the proper staff, more clients and the hopes of growing, not closing. As a professional, choosing the right one is a daunting task, but it’s a must in order to grow and succeed.
Here are a few questions to consider when choosing the right salon to work in:
1. What are your goals? Does the salon support your growth and offer opportunities that will help your career?
2. What is the salon culture? Does the salon have a belief system and culture in place? What is the motivational factor, service level and teamwork system like in the salon?
3. Where is the salon located? How far are you willing to travel, and is it worth the time and resources?
4. Have you interviewed the owner? As an employee, usually you are the one being interviewed; however, you need to reverse roles and ask questions to make sure the owner offers what you are looking for.
5. What products does the salon use? Does it use products that you are familiar with and have had success with?
Best of luck on your salon searching and don’t be afraid to interview and review a number of salons to make the best decision.