Is your salon a happy place? In many ways, that may seem like like a lightweight question. It’s a business and people are meant to be working hard and being productive and on the surface. If anything, that seems like the opposite of having fun, so what’s happiness got to do with it?
The Happiness Factor
- If you have a happy team then you are more likely to have happy clients.
- If you have a happy team you, are bound to have better team retention.
- If you have high team retention you automatically have good client retention.
You are not going to have happy clients without first having a happy team. What is it that we need to do to create happy team members? Happiness is not a one-size-fits-all but here are a few suggestions:
- Celebrate and acknowledge your team members creative achievements. Whether it’s passing a test as an assistant, going on the floor as a stylist, working on their first photo shoot or winning a competition, they deserve to be celebrated. Acknowledge every personal best, whether it’s their best retail or best re-bookings or best service totals. More importantly, have fun—you can still have fun and be professional. Have competitions in the salon, whether it’s to see who has done the most re-bookings for the week or the most request clients for the month.
Happy team members lead to happy clients. Here's a list of things that make clients happy:
- Getting a great haircut and color
- Being listened to
- Great service
- Having a team with a ‘can do’ attitude makes clients happy
- A well-presented array of refreshments
- Having a team that genuinely cares for the clients wishes
- Spotlessly salons
- Music (remember that the music is ultimately for the clients and not the team)