L’Oréal Professionnel’s Chelsea James (@chelseavonnejames) demonstrates cutting and styling techniques for a short, rounded fringe cut on long hair. Created specifically for her client, the style is perfect for creative types and for complementing oval-shaped faces while highlighting the cheekbones. To finish the demonstration, James also shows how to style the look into a festive updo for the holidays, incorporating her client’s tape-in extensions.
Get the Look:
- Start carving out the rounded fringe. Dampen the fringe area and right up onto the hairline to create a rounded, short fringe (this will serve later to support the longer hair which will be brushed over from the back).
- Once the initial shape and length has been cut, perfect the look and lines with a Wahl Edger, using a comb as a guide to help create the rounded sides. Finish the front by rounding the hair above the ear.
- Dampen the very top of the head (all the hair in front of the parietal ridge), and dry directing it forwards over the fringe. Softly trim the new overhang.
- Moving onto the dry hair and at the back (prepped with L’Oréal Professionnel’s Beach Waves and a three-strand braid set), take a profile section from the middle and “triple clamp” the section for maximum tension by putting the hair over the middle finger and holding it with the pointer and ring.
- Point cut the ends to create a stringy finish, and continue working around the back using slightly diagonal forward sections, going back in to blend.
- To create a holiday updo, prep hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 3. fish tail from the back of the crown incorporating hair from the sides, working down the entire length. Secure with a white hair tie, and sweep the braid onto one side, tucking it up into a braided piece, with the ends poking out and down. Secure with hair pins.