The fishtail braid is a favorite among clients: it's simple yet elegant and can be done in under five minutes. This week, Ruth Roche (@ruthroche), Global Artistic Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care, demonstrates a different take on a classic hairstyle, creating a three-strand fishtail braid.
Three-Strand Fishtail Braid
- Start with a low, side ponytail and wrap a piece of hair around the elastic.
- Using a wide barrel curling iron, add a little bit of bend to the hair for better style and grip.
- Divide the ponytail into three sections.
- Take a small piece from the outside of the left hand section, wrap it over the left hand section and under the center section before connecting it to the right hand section.
- Take a small piece from the surface of the right hand section, wrap it around the outside of the right hand section and over the center section before connecting it to the left hand section.
- Continue with pattern until desired braid is achieved.
- When complete, twist the braid for dimension and to better showcase the bottom side of the braid.
About: Roche specializes in design/finishing trends and business – she’s as captivating in front of thousands as she is in an intimate in-salon setting. She is the winner of multiple North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) awards and has contributed to Milady’s Standard Textbook of Cosmetology. Stylists from around the world learn, grow and fuel their creative fire with her. She is an established celebrity stylist (Anne Hathaway, Claire Danes, Amy Adams, Pink, Jenna Fischer, Mariah Carey…) and maintains a loyal clientele at Cutler Salon in NYC.