If you pay any attention to pop culture, you have to notice the staggering amount of starlets rockin’ a choppy bob. Everyone from Vanessa Hudgens and Lorde, to Cardi B and Arielle Vandenberg have been seen sporting the “cool girl” style with voluminous, chin-length layers.
In today’s how-to, Matt Beck (@freesaloneducation) creates a chin-length, choppy bob with voluminous fringe, giving us loads of ‘80s style with a modern twist. See how you can recreate this look below.
Get the look:
- Make a center part.
- Create a horseshoe shape at the top of the head following the parietal ridge and clip hair back.
- Then, starting high from the occipital bone, create a slight diagonal section going up to your last clip to create one of your side sections. Repeat on the other side.
- By this point you should have four sections, one at the top of the head, two at the side and the last being the hair in the bottom section at the back.
- Take a wide two-inch section from the bottom nape area and begin razoring the length off using a Donald Scott Carving Comb.
- Release one of your side sections, and starting from the back, cut over where your guideline would be from your last section underneath. This will create a soft overhang that will also disconnect the layers. Repeat on the other side.
- Release the top section and using the 25 percent side on the Donald Scott Twist Razor, remove the fringes weight, and create your layers and texture. Finish by creating the angle of the fringe using the 100 percent side.
- To finish, apply Brocato Cloud 9 Blowout Miracle Repair Blow Dry Serum globally to smooth and polish. Blow-dry hair using a paddle brush to flat wrap, and follow by running a straightening iron over the sides to keep the shape sleek with the volume focused on top. Perfect by using Brocato Carve Texture Icing to add pieceyness
About: Matt Beck, founder of Gratitude Salon Education invites all stylists and future stylists to freesaloneducation.com. Now more than ever Matt and his team at Gratitude Salon Education are showcasing their passion for education and for the salon industry by offering an on-line learning network at no charge. A site dedicated to providing the highest quality step by step education on a weekly basis for anyone who wants to log in, be inspired, and learn! Stylists can expect education on cutting, coloring, styling, barbering, and business tips. You can also look forward to totally free educational videos sent by email and live web classes broadcast from in the salon.