When it comes to creating quick-yet-stunning hairstyles—like when you’ve got a bridal party of six, and just a few hours to make them all happy and gorgeous—sometimes the best way to go is to work with your client’s natural hair texture. Luckily, those waves and curls almost self-prep themselves for updos and braids, saving you plenty of styling time.
For todays how-to, Ruth Roche (@ruthroche), Global Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care, shows us how to create a quick ponytail-inspired, half-up half-down look that’s perfect for your naturally wavy and curly haired clients. Creating a waterfall effect with three cascading sections, it’s a romantic boho look that you won’t want to miss. Watch the process below:
Get the look:
- Start by sectioning the hair from the back of the ear to the temple and clip up. Then create another section by clipping the remaining hair in the front (from the part down to the temple). Repeat on the other side.
- Follow by then taking a section of hair from the back, behind your clip. Do the same for the other side.
- Twist the two sections and secure together with an elastic in the middle at the back. Repeat the process using the hair from your clipped sections, working upwards towards the part and making your elastics sit higher each time.
- For added flair, you can make the elastics go up the hair on a diagonal.
- To add definition to your sections, spray with hairspray and then clip where you want to create separation before the spray dries. Once set, remove clips.
About: Ruth Roche is Global Artistic Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care. She specializes in design/finishing trends and business, and is as captivating in front of thousands as she is in an intimate in-salon setting. She is the winner of multiple North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) and has contributed to Milady’s Standard Textbook of Cosmetology. Stylists from around the world learn, grow and fuel their creative fire with her. She is an established celebrity stylist—working with stars such as Anne Hathaway, Claire Danes, Amy Adams, Pink, Jenna Fischer and Mariah Carey—and maintains a loyal clientele at Cutler Salon in NYC. Website: http://ruthroche.com, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RuthARoche, Instagram: http://instagram.com/ruthroche, Twitter: https://twitter.com/ruthroche, YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/ruthrochetv.