April showers bring May flowers, and in the beauty world, more pastel hues. According to Brittany Jones, Fox & Jane Salon’s regional partner for the Colorado locations, pastel coloring and sunny days don’t always mix well. Keep clients happy with their dye job going into summer by sharing Jones’ at-home maintenance tips with them:
1) Wash way less. We tend to be outdoors more in the summer months, requiring frequent showers. Washing your hair fades color faster, especially pastels. Learn to do a body rinse and remember, dry shampoo is your best friend.
2) Use color-safe shampoo. A sulfate-free color-safe shampoo is key to keeping pastel tones bright and fresh. Jones says she loves R+Co's ANALOG Cleansing Foam Conditioner because it cleanses and moisturizes the hair and isn't too harsh for pastels.
3) Follow with a custom-color conditioner. When the hair is one color, you can offer your client a custom color conditioner that matches their hue. Using this conditioner in the shower will keep their pastel tone looking vibrant and brand new. If your salon doesn’t carry a custom line, you can recommend shelf brands like oVertone or Celeb Luxury Viral Colorditioner in a similar shade.
4) Acquaint them with swimming shields. According to Jones, two easy ways to protect against salt and chlorine are fresh water and leave-in conditioner. Putting either or both in your hair before you take a dip “fills your hair with fresh water, making it harder for chlorine or saltwater to penetrate,” she says.
5) Apply sunblock to strands. UV rays can also damage and mess up pastel-colored hair (or any hair). Plenty of hair products with SPF are on the market, ranging from regular sprays to leave-in conditioners to heat protectants. Pick one to that best matches your client’s needs.