Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam member, has a fresh take on a French Twist that starts with a strong foundation to give it strength and longevity.
“We recently did this look onset with a model that had really long curly hair and it was gorgeous," Peters says. "The beauty is, it can also be done on straight hair with manufactured curl and texture that floats on the top and spills over the corner of the eye," she adds.
- Foundation: Create a vertical traveling braid foundation from the front hairline to the nape. This is the anchor for the look. Fold the end up to lay to the right side of the braid and tightly secure the two together with a couple pins.
- Using a Sam Villa Signature Series Tail Comb, create a diagonal section from the high point of the head to the outside corner of the eye and comb forward. Repeat on the opposite side. Join sides and clip out of the way.
- Smooth the hair that will be on the tight side of the twist back with a Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush – the soft bristles smooth hair nicely without digging too deep and disrupting the foundation. Bush hair to lay on top of the braid and pin it down with long pins from nape to crown so it is smooth and tightly anchored.
- Brush hair from the other side to slightly past the foundational braid, and using thumb and fingers start to create a twist, working up towards the crown and aligned with the braid. Secure from bottom to top with large pins. Insert pin directly into the hair until it hits the foundation and then turn it sideways and up into the braid. Leave ends out and make sure twist is straight and there are no holes or bubbles.
- Separate the two front sections with a clean part and brush through to smooth. Take one side and divide in half and create curls with a 1” Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron & Wand. Repeat on the other side. The 1” wand creates a tighter curl on longer hair for move movement. Also divide the ends of the twist into about three section and curl with iron.
- Play with the texture in the front - twist and secure hair to the braid so it moves forward and floats over the corner of the eye. Finish with Redken Wax Blast 10 high impact finishing spray-wax to create texture and longevity with the curl.