Through film, we can share triumphs, challenges, and ultimate joy; movies have the power to hook you in, make your heart skip a beat and can help you to solve the insolvable. At Hairbrained, we know that these captured bits of footage, cleverly woven together, tell valuable stories about our craft – and they serve to make education and inspiration widely accessible to hairdressers in the far corners of the world.
The Hairbrained Video Awards (HVA’s) were created to honor this unique form of expression. Representing a true grass roots movement, the HVA’s eschew traditional contest guidelines – and set an unprecedented standard for excellence among the hairdressing community. We love the pioneer spirit – and we appreciate that anyone can create great films regardless of their background or budget. Whether you’re independent, sponsored by a manufacturer, from a big city or live in a remote location, you can capture your best work and share it with your community. And this is important, because simply put, encapsulating your work in action is paramount to capturing the essence of the craft.
Unlike many other awards, you don’t have to submit an entry form: you just have to upload your videos to Hairbrained throughout the year, and you’re automatically entered to win. The categories are as follows: Even Further, Behind the Scenes, Coaching, Humorous, Lo-fi, Steps and HVA Video of the Year. A select panel of judges will choose from category nominees, deciding on a winner from each of the six categories, and picking an overall Grand Prize Winner.
Winners will receive accolades at the HVA’s much-anticipated third annual blowout event, in association with IBS New York, set to take place at New York City’s Arena Event Space on March 6, 2016. The event features a jumbo video screen and a killer sound system, perfect for enjoying the nominees ART, as attendees party and celebrate. Category winners receive $500 each, plus a fabulous, bronzed videocassette trophy. The grand prizewinner will take home $5,000 to help fund future projects.
At Hairbrained, we believe in our community and want to show the world what you are capable of. So, creators keep imagining, your visions inspire us all; and you never know, your next video could earn you an HVA.
LoFi [NoFi] Video of the Year: Low to No budget. Creative use of low technology.
- Douglas McCoy- The Bowie
- HairFucker - HairFucker #asketicism
- Tim Duenas- FLAT BRUSH
- Aaron Johnson- Ghost Inside
- James Mould- A haircut by James Mould
Even Further Video of the Year: Creative, Avant Garde, pushing limits of the hair film.
- Lukino Mantovani- La Fenice by Lukino Mantovani
- Aaron Johnson - Tea Party
- Beau Bollinger- The Cut - Session 1
- Douglas McCoy- Natural Texture (an exploration)
- Dean Holcombe - i am Anna
Behind The Scenes Video of the Year: Captures the magic behind the scenes at hair, fashion shows, events and photo-shoots.
- Ang Angela - Angangela_1
- BABAK - BTS NAHA Awards Texture Collection 2015
- The Nomad Barber - Episode 23 - Schorem Barbier
- Dean Holcombe - Nicopanda SS 16
- Nicholas Sansone & Dan O'Brien- Between The Pillars - A Communion
Steps Video of the Year: Technical education, step by step cut color or styling.
- DJ Muldoon- the classic graduated bob
- Mike Varela- How To Cut Hair - In An Hourglass
- Maksim Nikitochkin- Long layer haircut on curly hair tutorial
- Ruth Roche- Retro Braided Bob
- HeaD AreA- HeaD AreA
Coaching Video of the Year: Business advice, motivation
- Dusty Rhodē- Over Direction & Disconnection tips for Modern Mens haircuts
- Adam Federico- ZGAT Academy by FEDERICO advanced
- Ira Pope Sage- how to Stroke for shape by Ira Pope Sage
- Russell Mayes- HairVLog 5- Convertible Undercut
- Benjamin Jay- F+F Q+A | 18
Humorous Video of the Year: Oh no you didn't.