America’s Beauty Show (ABS) hosted 82,109 gate admissions, including salon owners, cosmetologists, colorists, nail techs, barbers, estheticians, exhibitor personnel and models, in downtown Chicago, March 25-27, 2017. The blockbuster event owned and produced by Cosmetologists Chicago, an association of 14,256 salon professionals, salon and school owners and students, featured 410 exhibits (375 domestic + 35 foreign) offering the latest in hair care and color, nails and skin care, tools and salon furnishings.
The two ABS Runways included the CosmoProf Main Stage that featured incomparable artists including Anthony Mascolo, Guy Tang, Ricardo Santiago, Anna Cantu and more; and The SalonCentric Theater-in-the-Round that rocked styles by the likes of Sam Villa, Justin Isaac, Amon Carver, Chrystofer Benson, Nicholas French. Both exciting and inspiring stages presented non-stop education during all three days of America’s Beauty Show.
Skin Care and Nail Care Take Prominent Positions at ABS
For the first time, the International Esthetics, Cosmetics and Spa Conference (IECSC) co-located with ABS, bringing this world-renowned skin care and spa expo and educational forum to Chicago.
- Cosmetologists Chicago officially launched the CIDESCO Section USA during a press and VIP reception where aggressive growth plans were revealed. The CIDESCO General Assembly granted Cosmetologists Chicago's American Association for Esthetics the license as the administrator for CIDESCO Section USA in September 2016.
- The International Nail Technicians Association (INTA) rolled out the “Body of Knowledge” Educational Track to lead nail pros to the prestigious title of INTA Certified Nail Professional.
- Rounding out the weekend of the best of the best for nail technicians was the return of the Next Top Nail Artist (NTNA). The finals were brought to ABS by Nails Magazine and sponsored by CND.
Hair Color and Texture Top ABS Education
Several hundred hair colorists immersed themselves in the half-day ColorFEST 2017 event featuring major color companies and A-list colorists including: Sonya Dove, Eva Scrivo, Alexis Thurston and Nick Stenson. The presenters highlighted new color trends and how to interpret them for clients in the salon; how and when to raise salon color prices; and talked about how they achieved their models’ inspirational color looks. ColorFEST was presented by ABS, ColorAmerica and Modern Salon PROCESS.
Textured HairFair was back and bigger than ever after a stunning launch in 2016. The event provided guests the latest for all hair textures and curl types, technical keys to service success and provided ways to implement new knowledge in the salon. Following the educational session, guests could meet with specialists from sponsoring brands that set the trends and revolutionize the textured hair business.
The Beauty Changes Lives Experience on Sunday, March 26, 2017 was a stunning success. Matrix co-founders Arnold and Sydell Miller received the 2017 Legacy Award. The Beauty Changes Lives Experience featured NEXTGEN talent from American Crew, Aquage, CND, Intercoiffure, Matrix, Mizani, Pivot Point, Redken, TIGI and Wella – interpreting “The Art of Prediction.”
Kicking off the Beauty Changes Lives Experience runway presentation were the announcements of the ABS Global Image Awards. The 2017 ABS Global Image Awards winners are:
- Avant Garde - Gonzalo Zarauza, Centro Beta, San Sebastián, Spain
- ColorAmerica Colorist of the Year - Chrystofer Benson, CBC Chrystofer Benson Collective, Ogden, UT
- Editorial - Sal Misseri, Kaizen Education / Reverie Salon, Chicago, IL
- Haircutting - David Barron, Barron’s London Salon, Atlanta, GA
- Men’s Cutting- Alex Azurmendi, Centro Beta, San Sebastián, Spain
- Salon Team - Kaizen Education / Reverie Salon, Chicago, IL
- Texture- Michael Jacobson, Michael & Michael, Chicago, IL
- Student / Young Professional - Gunny Hastings, Brown Aveda Institute, Cleveland, OH / Reverie Salon, Chicago, IL.
Sal Misseri of Kazien Education / Reverie Salon, Chicago, IL is to receive The Leo Passage Gold Trophy in honor of the late Pivot Point founder and Cosmetologists Chicago member, Leo Passage.
Listen. Support. Connect., the required Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault training for Illinois cosmetology license renewal was offered during ABS. 3,477 salon professionals and owners took the CE class that taught how to recognize symptoms of DV/SA and how to provide resources.
Intercoiffure hosted two business panels: “Women in Leadership” led by Karen Gordon; and “Best Practices for Salon Success” led by Andreas Zafiriadis.
Multiple Product Knowledge College classes were taught by leading companies in haircare, extensions, makeup, haircolor, nails, technical instruction and more offer technical instruction.
410 exhibitors shared their best in class products with salon pros on the expansive ABS exhibit floor.
- Established ABS exhibitors showcased their best of the best for pros, including the following brands to name a few: Andis, American Crew, Amika, Arrojo, Babyliss PRO, Belvedere USA, Brazillian Professionals, CND, Conair/Aquage, Esquire, Farouk Systems, Gelish/Morgan Taylor, HALOCOUTURE Extensions, Johnny B. Hair Care, Joico, L’anza, Matrix, Mizani, Obliphica Professional, Pulp Riot Hair, Pureology, Redken, Takara Belmont USA, TIGI, Tony Odisho, Sexy Hair, Wahl, Young Nails and many more.
- America’s Beauty Show 2017 featured many new exhibitors, such as: Avalon, Barber Strong, Bella Lash, Bellami Hair, Blackpants Workwear, Borboleta Beauty, Celeb Luxury, Dyson, Ecru New York, Fab Brows, hairtalk USA, JOYA MIA, Kenra Professionals, Lock & Loaded, PinkPro Beauty Supply, Puff Me, Pulp Riot Hair, REF Hair Care USA, Tish & Snooky’s Manic Panic NYC Inc., Zenagen and many more.