Tina Fey kept it classy in a vintage black Versace gown at the Screen Actors Guild Awards Sunday night and her bumped-up coif paired perfectly with the red carpet style. Celebrity stylist Richard Marin says to complement her gown, he “went with simple hair: pulled back off the face, a center part and a chignon bun at the back of the head,” and used Oribe hair care products to do just that. Here, he gives his step-by-step guidelines to re-creating the look:
- To maintain shine and workability, prep damp strands with Oribe Hair Care Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray before drying it with Remington’s Keratin Therapy Blow Dryer.
- Gather her hair and brush it into a high ponytail, securing it with a snagless hair band.
- To ensure a lasting hold, spritz the ponytail with Oribe Hair Care Superfine Hairspray. The medium-hold, superfine spray allows for easy twisting of the ponytail. Once it starts to coil, pin the chignon bun into place.
- To soften the overall look and flatter your client’s face shape, pull bangs and loose strands out for a finished frame.
- One final mist of Oribe Hair Care Superfine Hairspray seals in any unwanted flyaways.
- To prep, apply a dab of Oribe Gel Serum to lightly dried bangs before setting them in large rollers.
- Throughout the rest of the hair, Cornell suggests using steam rollers to add curl and body “because they are more gentle on her fine, colored hair."
- Remove rollers and comb Oribe Crème for Style through hair to keep curls in tact as you style.
- Pump up the volume by teasing hair at the crown and misting it with Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray.
- Again using Oribe Crème for Style, pull the hair into a low ponytail and secure it with a snagless band. To hide the elastic, wrap a small piece of hair around the base of the ponytail.
- For a finishing touch of shimmer, add Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream to smooth down the sides. "This is the perfect product for livening up colored hair." Cornell says.
- One final spritz of Oribe Superfine Hair Spray and your client’s all set.