On November 13, 2016, acclaimed fashion designers Brian Wolk and Claude Morais partnered with Paul Mitchell for the premiere of Collection 4 at Harlowe in West Hollywood. The Los Angeles-centric collection featured 24 outfits inspired by the duo’s love of the 1930s pre-code Hollywood cinema and its uninhibited ingénues infused with the syncopated street style of Fairfax Avenue. The event also marked the debut of Wolk Morais’ first jewelry collection, which featured gold chain link necklaces, chokers, and chunky strands.
The Paul Mitchell team was led by Lucie Doughty, who styled the rocker-chic hair for the show to achieve a ‘30s-meets-the-street vibe. Fringe was the main focus of the styling, with all of the models wearing clip-on bangs. Below, Doughty shares her steps to achieve the faux fringe look she did at the show.
How to get the look:
1. Measure the fringe on the model. Place the fringe on and section a triangular shaped section from each parietal ridge at the hairline to the back clip.
2. Direct the hair backwards and secure with an elastic band at the point of the section. Use sculpting foam to keep it flat. Keep as flat as possible by not lifting your hand away from head as you apply band.
3. Underneath the ponytail divide the hair in half.
- Take a piece of hair from each side and a piece from the underneath of the ponytail (about 1 inch below band)
- Band together
- Let top of pony cover over and blend
4. Lightly spray hair with water spray and add Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam and Awaphui Wild Ginger Texturizing Sea Spray.
5. Diffuse the product into the hair to build texture. Add more product as needed.
6. After the product is completely dried, add curls visually into the hair where needed. Let cool.
7. Break up the curls with a blow dryer sans diffuser, and your hands
8. Attach fringe piece starting in the front. Open the clips and hook in either side of your parting to fully secure.
9. Clip the back clip onto the hair. Check you have no bumps.
10. Curl the fringe piece visually to mimic the texture created on the model’s hair previously.
11. Add Awaphui Wild Ginger Texturizing Sea Spray and break up the curls on the fringe piece with a blow dryer on low.
12. Finish hair with Extra Body Finishing Spray. Note: Fringe pieces may need to be blended in with a carving comb.
@PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images and Evan Would
About Paul Mitchell: Paul Mitchell is dedicated to making our world a more beautiful place. The company currently produces over 150 professional and consumer products (including the brands Paul Mitchell, MITCH, Awapuhi Wild Ginger, Tea Tree, Paul Mitchell Pro Tools, and Neuro Tools) that have won over 85 beauty awards. It was the first professional beauty company to stand up against animal testing, and has long been a leader in the global effort to protect consumers from tampered products. It’s easy to see that Paul Mitchell’s commitment to caring for people and the planet is a driving force in everything it does. For more information, please visit www.paulmitchell.com