Wella Professionals’ Jennifer J. turns the girl next door into a noir bombshell.
As a celebrity stylist, Jennifer J. has transformed more than one ingénue into a femme fatale. For this model, whose virgin hair was a natural level 8 with a fine, wavy texture, Jennifer J. wanted to create a flaxen blonde, old-Hollywood look reminiscent of Veronica Lake. “Wella Professionals was the perfect color for this look because its high-lift blondes have the ability to lift through so many levels. It has beautiful tones and the hair is never compromised,” she says.
The result: opulent platinum color with luminous highlights and a head-turning style with retro flair. Here, Jennifer J. shares steps to recreate the look while giving your client a top-drawer salon experience that will leave her feeling as good as she looks.
- Begin by sectioning the head along the center part. Working from the center part, apply formula A from root to ends, working down the left and right sections before working on the back section, applying to the hairline last. Process for 35 minutes.
- Rinse out, shampoo with Wella Professionals Brilliance Shampoo and lock in color with Color Post Treatment. Use formula B in a balayage technique to create face-framing highlights. Process for five minutes, then rinse. At the bowl, use formula C to tone all over. Process for seven minutes, then rinse.
- For extra conditioning, perform the Oil Reflective service:
Prepare: Cleanse with Brilliance Shampoo.
Protect: Apply Oil Reflections to hair from mid-lengths to ends. Apply Enrich Treatment mask to hair.
Pamper: Use the Care 3 massage technique and wrap the head in a warm, wet towel. Let the client sit for 10 minutes under a heat source. Rinse with warm water and then towel dry.
- Spray strands with Thermal Image Heat Protection Spray and Extra Volume Mousse to add body. Blow-dry hair using a round brush. Create a front section from ear to ear across the top of the head. Clip up the top-center section.
- Determine the desired length and use a back-cutting technique to remove weight.
- Apply Velvet Amplifier to the hair to set the foundation for great style.
Starting at the nape, take ¾-inch panels of hair and spray with Stay Firm hairspray. Use a ¾-inch-barrel curling iron to create tight curls, using clips to secure. Curl side sections starting at the bottom of the section and working up to the part.
- After allowing the curls to cool completely, use a comb to gently release and create glamorous Hollywood waves.
Use Mirror Polish on the ends and on the edges of curls to smooth and add a high-gloss finish.
Jennifer J., the legendary hairstylist who colors the tresses of Hollywood luminaries, shares tricks of the trade with beauty professionals everywhere on behalf of Wella Professionals.
Color Formula A (all over)
30g Koleston Perfect Special Blondes
+ 30g 12/61 + 120g 40-volume Koleston Perfect Crème Developer
Color Formula B (highlights)
30g Blondor Multi Blonde
Powder + 45g 20-volume Koleston Perfect Crème Developer
Color Formula C (toning)
30g Koleston Perfect 10/16 + 60g
Koleston Perfect Pastel Developer
A Hollywood insider joins the Wella Professionals team
Jennifer J., Wella Professionals’ newest celebrity color ambassador, was also one of the judges at this year’s North American TrendVision Awards. “I really enjoyed it because I was able to see creativity evolve around the looks and a group of talented hairdressers being able to bring their visions to life,” she says. The luxurious Juan Juan Salon, which Jennifer J. co-owns alongside her husband, has locations in Beverly Hills and Brentwood, CA, and serves a roster of celebrity color clients that would light up the Hollywood sign. She has created signature looks for clients such as Kristen Stewart in Twilight, Lily Collins in Mirror Mirror and January Jones in Mad Men.
Now Jennifer J. will bring her talent for defining seasonal trends in haircolor to the Wella Professionals team. “I started working with Wella in a very organic way because they’re so professional—on the cutting edge of the hair industry—and my work ethics and beliefs are in line with theirs,” she says. “This brand has shaped my career, helping me create some of my most innovative color and celebrity looks. I’m thrilled to be on board!”