Curly hair doesn’t just apply to tight coils or noticeable ringlets—there is a large variety of patterns. After discovering that those on the looser end of the curl spectrum were frustrated when it came to finding products that work for them, Ouidad got busy. The result: Curl Shaper, a new line of six products ideal for the consumer who lives between straight and curly.
Clients who resort to over-straightening their waves or curls, or throw them into a top knot because they can’t find a product that works, can find a solution in this line—it’s also a way to help them embrace their natural texture.
The six products are:
Good As New Moisture Restoring Shampoo, which is oil-based to mimic hair’s natural oils to cleanse without stripping.
Double Duty Weightless Cleansing Conditioner—switching from cleanser to co-wash is like switching from anti-perspirant to natural deodorant, says Rebecca Dorsey, VP of global product development. “It takes time to get used to. Scalp and natural oils will balance themselves out,” she adds. She recommends using the shampoo for a deeper cleanse.
Memory Maker 3-in-One Revitalizing Milk, which infuses moisture into the hair with natural oils like coconut and Abyssinian. It can also be used as an overnight treatment or a pick-me-up mask.
Out Of Thin (H)air Volumizing Jelly, which is full of aloe vera for lightweight moisture and has lightweight polymers for definition and hold. It boasts a flake- and crunch-free formula.
Take Shape Plumping + Defining Cream—ideal for thicker strands—gives more moisture but is still lightweight. There’s a slight bounce to the cream, because of the way it’s mixed. Dorsey recommends starting with a small amount and building as needed.
Bounce Back Reactivating Mist, which Dorsey describes as “like a cup of coffee for curls.” It reactivates styling products that are already in your hair and has natural humectants that draw in moisture.
Below, Irinel de León, Ouidad brand ambassador who’s styled the likes of Chrissy Teigen and Hailey Bieber, offers her best tips for caring and styling curly hair.
1. Do not use a terrycloth towel to dry wet hair. Instead use a cotton T-shirt or a microfiber towel.
2. Apply product when your hair is very wet for the best results—wet, not damp—and apply in sections. You should be able to hear the product make a squishing noise.
3. If you have loose waves or curls, use a diffuser attachment on your blow-dryer to enhance natural texture.
4. From a professional standpoint, the Primer is a hero product. It helps product adhere to the strands better than applying out of the shower, and it doubles as a leave-in conditioner and treatment.
5. I love to cocktail both products. If you have fine texture, go with the Volumizing Jelly, but if you’re in the fine/medium texture—like fine hair but a lot of it, or medium—cocktail Plumping + Volumizing Cream and Volumizing Jelly. If your hair is compromised from color or if it’s feeling super dry, start with the Cream. It has ingredients to plump natural texture, and it helps fine hair expand and gives it body and hold.
6. For Day 2/Day 3 hair, the Reactivating Mist is awesome. Use it in sweeping motions. Don’t spray it directly on your hair. It has a milky consistency and gives hair a lot of the moisture it’s missing.