Many brides-to-be want a look that can easily be transitioned from a more formal style for the ceremony to a more playful style that will stand up to dancing the night away with her other half. Geneva Cowen, Artist Director for Sam Villa, gives a how to for a look that is pre-set with modern beach waves and then set in a loose up style that can be transitioned in 5 minutes or less for the reception.
“It’s important that both looks are done in a practice session, or two, prior to the big day. The more formal style for the ceremony should be crafted so it’s easily transitioned to another look for the celebration, and that’s the look the bride-to-be should leave the trial session with in order to get a feel for how it will hold up,” explains Cowen.
Prepare the hair with the Sam Villa beach wave technique:
- Establish the part in the area where bride would traditionally wear it and place the flower crown in the hair.
- Separate the sides from the back with fingers.
Tip: Using fingers instead of a comb to separate hair into sections will allow the waves to stay more intact.
- Separate the back into two sections with fingers.
- There should now be a total of 4 sections.
- Begin with the left side section.
- Twist the section up and away from the face.
- Roll the section up like a soft roll and secure the section with a large hairpin.
- Place the pin behind the flower crown for support.
- Continue with the back two sections.
- Roll up each section keeping the ends in the center of the section as hair is rolled up.
- Secure each section with a large hairpin.
- Gently pull the last section away from the face and twist up and away.
- Roll the section slightly back in a soft roll and secure with a large hairpin. Place pin behind the flower crown for support.
Tip: Do not roll the sections tight, keep it loose so the natural texture is still evident when the hair is taken down and transitioned into the playful look.
A light mist of an anti-humidity hairspray such, as Redken control addict 28 extra high hold hairspray is a lifesaver on the special day to keep the shape from getting frizzy.
Transition to playful look:
- Remove the flower crown without disturbing the top of the hair
- Beginning on the sides, carefully remove all the pins and unroll each side section
- Move directly on to the back without disturbing the unrolled side sections
- Carefully remove all the pins and unroll each back section
- Turn head upside down and gently shake the hair
- Bring the head back up and scrunch any holes with fisted fingers where needed
- Finish with Redken control addict 28 extra high hold hairspray for this beautiful look to hold throughout the reception!
- Place flower crown onto the head and secure with grips at both sides and back
Credits: Hair: Geneva Cowen, Artistic Director Sam Villa, Photography: Shalem Mathew, Makeup: Keegan Richards, Wardrobe: David’s Bridal, Flowers: Bloomsbury Blooms
About: Sam Villa is founding partner of the Sam Villa® brand (Allvus, LLC), designed to bring “More Sam to More People.” For more information please visit www.samvilla.com.