Riawna and Nina were on the same page from the get-go when it came to deciding on a “romantic with a twist” look for the 2016 Golden Globes. They both wanted to create an effortless, not-too-perfect, whimsical updo with lots of twists, knots, and braids involved.
STEP-BY-STEP HOW TO:
1. Start with dry hair and spray UNITE’s GLOSSING Spray ($32) all over the hair to protect it from the use of heat tools. Then, curl the entire head with a 3/4 inch curling iron. Loosen up the curls by running the fingers through the hair and add some texture with UNITE’s TEXTURIZA Spray ($35).
2. Create a pompadour like lift with the center section of the hair and pin with two duck bill clips to keep the height in the hair.
3. Next, create an inside out French braid with the hair on each side of the head from the temple on down. It’s more difficult to see braids on brunettes compared to blondes, so an inside-out French braid is perfect for that extra pop!
4. Tie a rubber band at the bottom of the braid and wrap it under so it almost resembles a snail shell, then pin it into place. Fatten the braid with UNITE’s EXPANDA Dust ($29) and gently pull it apart.
5. Grab pieces of the remaining center section of the hair, twist it, knot it, and pin it in place. The idea is to create fullness in the hair, but with more of a lived-in look, so be sure to leave some ends of the hair sticking out.
6. Lastly, remove the duck bill clips and connect the top part of the hair with the bottom section so the updo looks blended and uniform. The sections should all melt together at this stage. Lock the hair into place with UNITE’s SESSION Max Spray ($33) and then use UNITE’s GLOSSING Spray ($32) to soften the hair and add shine for the perfect elegant updo.