One scroll through Redken Creative Colorist Rebecca Taylor's Instagram (@rebeccataylor) and it's easy to proclaim her as the queen of all things color. Famous for her vivid color techniques, down-to-earth personality and strong social media presence—her Instagram alone has 507 thousand followers—Taylor has done her part in bringing fashion colors to the forefront.
In this how-to video, Taylor uses Redken City Beats to transform her model's hair from a dull blonde to a spring-inspired rainbow melt and we can't get enough. "It's like painting to me," Taylor says about using fashion color. "I get to be an artist as opposed to only a service provider or an educator." Watch the process unfold below.
Get the look:
- Make sure the starting hair color is what it needs to be for the desired end look.
- If necessary, pre-lighten hair with a heavy woven foil before adding any fashion color.
- Starting with a customized dark red City Beats color, create a shadow root beyond the hair's virgin shadow root around the entire head like a color touchup.
- Contrary to lightener, progressive color and permanent color, it doesn't matter where you start applying fashion color.
- After the shadow root, add in City Beats Chelsea Coral on the mid-shaft and ends, and make sure to emulsify the two colors with your gloves for a seamless blend.
- With direct dyes, there is no oxidation or ammonia to drive the pigment in. You're relying on muscle to make the color pop.
- Based on personal preference, continually add colors that blend downward from the shadow root and emulsify with your gloves.
- Color application doesn't have to be perfect or symmetrical but it does have to be balanced if you want it to look seamless.
About: For over 50 years Redken’s foundation has been based on extensive scientific knowledge and the belief in, and support of, the expertise of salon professionals. Redken provides salon professionals with innovative products, inspiring education and exclusive salon programs to be as successful and profitable as possible. Located in New York, Redken is also at the forefront of trends and has created a strong relationship with the fashion industry. As a result, Redken has become a leader in backstage beauty, creating the runway looks for the industry’s most prestigious designers. A unique mix of fashion, innovation and inspiration, Redken provides salon professionals and consumers the ultimate professional edge. For more information, visitRedkenPro.com.