Fifth Harmony might be down a member since last year's ceremony, but that didn't stop the ladies from serving up fierce looks for the 2017 Video Music Awards. The girl group is known for rocking unique ensembles for all of their public appearances, but typically all in the same style and color palette. This year, Lauren Jauregui, Ally Brooke, Dinah Jane and Normani Kordei wore different colors and fully played on their personal styles and individuality—a refreshing change for the group.
To complement each outfit's uniqueness, ghd Brand Ambassador, Justine Marjan, worked her hair magic on Ally, Dinah and Lauren, and shared the inside scoop with us. Learn how to recreate their looks below.
“Ally was wearing a gorgeous feminine empire waist strapless dress that we wanted to compliment with big, voluminous, girly curls," Marjan says.
- Prep damp hair with volumizing mousse then blow-dry with the ghd Air Hairdryer and a ghd Oval Dressing Brush to create lots of volume.
- Attach clip-in extensions for added fullness, then spray hair with a hairspray and brush through.
- Curl vertical sections with the ghd Curve Classic Curl Iron, with the iron pointed vertically, leaving the ends straight and directing the hair away from the face.
- Spray roots with a dry shampoo then massage through.
- Back brush curls with the ghd Detangling Comb then spray with more hairspray for hold.
“Dinah was wearing a long backless dress so we wanted to create a long, wavy ponytail that cascaded down her back," says Marjan.
- Prep damp hair with a styling serum, then create a deep side part and blow-dry hair smooth with the ghd Air
Hairdryer and the ghd Natural Bristle Radial Brush size 2.
- Spray hair with a heat-protectant spray then flat iron hair using the ghd Platinum Styler in horizontal sections from
roots to ends.
- Attach long clip-in extensions, then spray the ghd Oval Dressing Brush with hairspray and gather hair into a low ponytail.
- Wrap a piece of hair around the ponytail and spray with hairspray for hold.
- Curl through the length of the ponytail with the ghd Curve Soft Curl iron on small sections, alternating directions.
- Brush through the length of the ponytail and apply a hair oil for shine.
“Lauren was wearing a gorgeous burgundy dress with a dramatic cutout in the front," Marjan says. "We wanted to keep her hair simple and elegant.”
- First, prep damp hair with heat protector and then blow-dry smooth with the ghd Air Hairdryer and the ghd Natural Bristle Radial Brush size 4.
- Then, create a deep side part, then spray hair with keratin smoothing spray and flat iron with the ghd Platinum Pink BlushStyler from roots to ends.
- Apply hair clip-in extensions for dramatic length, then continue to straighten with the ghd Platinum Pink Blush Styler to blend in.
- To finish the look, apply oil throughout ends then spray the ghd Oval Dressing Brush with hairspray and brush through.
About: A decade on from revolutionizing hairstyling with the launch of its first styler, ghd remains true to its founding ethos: the spirit of transformation. In addition to its stylers, which continue to be a cult must-have for women in search of beautiful hair, a new product line, ghd Style, and a collection of professional brushes complete the ghd range.