The VMAs are one of the few award shows where celebrities fully embrace their individuality—gowns and tuxes aren't necessary, and frankly, there are no rules. Needless to say, we've seen plenty of over-the-top fashion faux pas in the past, but this year's red carpet was surprisingly minimalistic.
One of the biggest hair trends on the 2017 VMA red carpet was simplicity. From Paris Jackson's subtle, two-toned waves, to Olivia Munn’s loose and luscious lob—some of the hottest celebs proved that sometimes less is more. When Matrix Celebrity Stylists George Papanikolas (@georgepapanikolas) and Nick Stenson (@nickstenson) saw photos of Jackson and Munn, they knew the perfect products and color formulas to recreate the looks. Lucky for you, they shared those styling tips with us.
Suggested Styling Step-by-Step
- To prep hair, use Biolage R.A.W Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner.
- To prep dry hair, apply Biolage R.A.W. Smoothing Styling Milk to ease the grip of blow dry and nourish.
- Create a center part and comb around the hairline giving the hair direction.
- Spray with Biolage R.A.W. Texturizing Styling Spray to give definition then use a ¾ inch barrel curling iron to curl hair and brush the waves through to keep them soft.
- Spray the Biolage R.A.W. Frizz Control Styling Spray through the hair to maintain frizz and protect from humidity.
- Finish it off with the Biolage R.A.W. Texturizing Styling Spray to set and add hold to the hair.
Paris Jackson's Suggested Color Formula
- Formula 1 (root color): Equal parts Color Sync 6A 10 Volume MATRIX Cream Developer
- Formula 2 (mids): 2 scoops Light Master & 1 oz. 40 Volume MATRIX Cream Developer & Bond Ultim8 Step 1 Amplifier
- Formula 3 (ends): 2 scoops Light Master & 2 oz. 40 Volume & Bond Ultim8 Step 1 Amplifier & 2 oz. 20 Volume MATRIX Cream Developer
Olivia Munn's Suggested Color Formula
- Formula: 2 scoops Light Master & 2 oz. 30 Volume & Bond Ultim8 Step 1 Amplifier
- Formula 1 (root color) 2 oz. Color Sync 5N & 2 oz. 10 Volume MATRIX Cream Developer
- Formula 2 (ends) 2 oz. Color Sync 8M & 2 oz. 10 Volume MATRIX Cream Developer
- Melt the 2 formulas at the mid shaft
About: MATRIX, a leading professional haircare and hair color company in the United States, is part of L’Oreal USA’s Professional Products Division. Matrix was founded in 1980 by the American husband and wife hairdressing team, Arnie and Sydell Miller. Before he founded Matrix, Mr. Miller was a hairdresser for over 20 years. Now, over two decades later, the Millers’ original ideas still stand strong, and Matrix is committed to the development of the salon professional, offering a wide range of haircare, haircolor and texturizing products.