Topknots are the new ponytail – they are easy to create, can be smooth and sleek or messy and textured, and a great way to wear second and third-day hair. For those already in the topknot game, Ruth Roche, Global Artistic Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care, has a new twist on the classic that gives it real street cred.
“Wrapping a braid around the bottom of the knot gives it a little something different…a new twist,” says Roche.
Braided Top Knot
- Apply Pureology Pureology Colour Stylist Root Lift and blow dry hair with a round brush.
- Set with a 1½ “curling iron and Pureology Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray.
- Take a small section at the crown, secure with an elastic and pull elastic away from scalp so there is a loose ponytail - this will become the topknot.
- Create a small triangle section from the recession area (narrower towards the back than front) back to the ponytail.
- Take a vertical slice of that section and make a French braid. Keep it fairly tight.
- Take a small slice on one side and place a bobby pin in where section meets ponytail, repeat on other side.
- Gather the two sides and the ponytail into one section and backcomb with the large teeth of a comb to combine, and then twist and wrap it around into a knot.
- Slide a bobby pin into where fingers are and push flat against the head. Add a second pin in the center of the knot and slide back flat against the head.
- Wrap braid around the bottom of the knot and tuck ends in.
For other ways to update topknots and ponytails, check out www.ruthroche.com.
About: Roche specializes in design/finishing trends and business – she’s as captivating in front of thousands as she is in an intimate in-salon setting. She is the winner of multiple North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) awards and has contributed to Milady’s Standard Textbook of Cosmetology. Stylists from around the world learn, grow and fuel their creative fire with her. She is an established celebrity stylist (Anne Hathaway, Claire Danes, Amy Adams, Pink, Jenna Fischer, Mariah Carey…) and maintains a loyal clientele at Cutler Salon in NYC.