The annual search for the top talent in the grooming industry has begun! American Crew is accepting submissions for its 2021 All-Star Challenge, an opportunity for top barbers and stylists to participate in a creative showdown, where they are asked to create a contemporary interpretation and expression of American Crew style. For the first time, the competition is open to students in the US.
Submissions for the global competition will be reviewed by respective in-country judging panels to select their national winner, who will then move forward to participate in the global competition where five winners will be selected.\
Entries will be assessed on five different core competencies
- Barbering (mastery of clipper skills, fading and shaving)
- High texture (ability to display technical skills, shape and control while working with highly textured hair)
- Length (excellence in cutting and styling hair length while maintaining a masculine edge)
- Retro (ability to recreate a classic cut from the past with technical excellence in cutting and styling)
- Trend (ability to think ahead by producing a shape or style that could become a future trend).
The US student competition adheres to the same rules, with the in-country judging panel selecting the student winner.
The Global Committee will name five top Professional competitors and one student competitor as the All-Star Challenge 2021 winners.
Prize for professional winners: $5,000 award and an all-expense paid trip to Barcelona to participate in an editorial photo shoot alongside American Crew founder and renowned photographer David Raccuglia.
Prize for student winner: A prize package of American Crew product and merchandise valued at $2,000, and a one-on-one training session with an American Crew All-Star Educator.
“With the many challenges facing the grooming and salon industry during the global pandemic, this year’s All-Star Challenge feels more pertinent than ever before," said Raccuglia. "We’re shining a spotlight on talent to aid in driving their careers at a crucial time for the industry and to open the door for both aspiring and established pros."”
How to Enter
- Create a hair style that best represents the American Crew look.
- Portray the look on your chosen model and showcase through two black-and-white photographs from chest-level and above. The model should be in front of a blank background, with one photo face-on and the second focusing on the profile.
- Photographs are required to be accompanied by a brief description of the look and the products that were used to create it.
Entries open will be accepted through May 15, 2021. Global winners will be announced on June 7, 2021.
May the odds be ever in your favor!