Well, you did it! Another super successful holiday season in the books, and all of your clients are ready to take 2018 by storm. Whether you're a salon salon owner or a stylist, the holidays are often about everyone but yourself—long days pampering guests followed by gift wrapping, parties, etc. Winding down from a stressful season doesn’t happen overnight. It’s important to give yourself a few days of rest and relaxation to gain back control of your life and find your much needed zen. Take a few tips from the below list and allow the madness to settle.
- Clear the books. Now that the holiday craze is behind you, take a few days to slow down. It’s ok to say “no” to plans and commitments. Take a staycation and enjoy a few days taking care of yourself.
- Catch some zzz’s. Turn off that dreaded alarm and get a few extra hours of sleep at night. Maybe even treat yourself to a nap. When you’re working 12 hour days and entertaining nonstop during the holidays, it’s nearly impossible to get a full night’s sleep, so take a few lazy days and allow your body to recover.
- Power down. We’re willing to bet you spent much of the holidays showcasing all your beautiful work on social media and connecting with clients, friends and family with texts and emails. Shut down your devices for a couple of days to recover. With the right systems in place, like SolaGenius, you can keep booking appointments while disconnect.
- Get outside. Fresh air is a surefire way to lower your stress levels.
- Utilize essential oils. Essential oils are a natural go-to stress reliever and do wonders for calming your mind. Create an essential oil roller with jojoba oil and a few drops of lavender, lemongrass, tulsi and ylang ylang. Roll it onto your wrists and temples to shift your head and heart space. Inhale, exhale and enjoy.
- Take a coffee break. How many cups (ahem, carafes) of coffee did you consume during the month of December? It’s proven that warm beverages soothe the body, so try a relaxing cup of Tulsi tea. Tulsi tea has been used for 5,000 years to relieve stress while boosting energy, immunity and digestion naturally. With a bit of honey, you’ll get an extra antioxidant boost to improve your immunity.
- Soak it up. A hot bath is a perfect way to relax and unwind at the end of the day. Toss in a bath bomb and remember to breathe deeply while you soothe your tired muscles and detox your mind.
- Get a massage. Research shows that massage therapy is an ideal stress relief tool. Book an appointment with your favorite Sola massage therapist or order one up at home with the Soothe app. Either way, you deserve to treat yourself after all the pampering you’ve done for others this holiday season.
- Create a calming environment. Your physical environment plays a major role in your overall mood. Take a break from bright lights with a few candles and use dimmers in the evening. Add to the peaceful ambiance by turning on some relaxing music.
- Practice gratitude. It’s pretty simple: being grateful can actually reduce stress. Create a gratitude list for everything you are thankful for in 2017 and say "thank you" to those who helped to make your year amazing. Refocusing your thoughts to what you have instead of what you don’t have will cause a noticeable change in your overall mentality and mood.
Now that the holidays are behind you, relish in the fact that you have time to devote to relaxation again. Once you’ve allowed yourself to recover and you’ve found that much needed zen, you’ll be ready to set your intentions for an even more successful 2018.