The Matrix philosophy is to inspire all salon professionals to transform a passion for beauty into personal success. By sustaining one of the industry's largest teams of educators including colorists and salon owners – Matrix artists remain dedicated to crafting style and motivating others to express personal creativity. Through innovation, education and inspiration, Matrix encourages hairdressers across the globe to share the American dream and imagine all they can be!
In this Digital Photo Journal series, Matrix Artistic Director Daniel Roldan shares his personal views and storied photos as he travels across world educating artists on his craft, sharing tips, tools and techniques to creating inspired hairstyles – all while documenting via Instagram.
The Inspiration: The Luis I Bridge in Porto, Portugal
“One of the benefits of traveling is that you’re always experiencing new sites and sensations, which can be very inspirational. As a photographer, I capture these scenes and moments; but as a hairstylist, I strive to create looks that show my inspirations that can transcend beyond a photograph. For me, hair and photography go hand-in-hand as forms of expression that complement each other, telling stories about my travels. When I’m out and about, I’m always looking for different shapes, colors and infrastructures that serve as inspirations which are then reflected in my work.”
The Look: Blue Metallic Braids
“I was inspired by The Luis I Bridge in Portugal to create this look. The bridge represents ancient history, personality, and beauty. I wanted to create a modern version of it to represent this beautiful structure. The bridge was constructed in 1886 and at the time it was the longest of its type worldwide. I love how the bridge looks at nightfall with the lights reflecting on it producing a metallic effect just like these braids.”
Formula: 1 3Ž4 oz Color Sync 8P + 4 drop Color Sync 1A + 6 drops SOBOOST Blue + 1 3Ž4 oz 10 Volume MATRIX Cream Developer
- Apply Style Link Mineral Grip Definer to damp hair.
- Create an off-center part on each side of the head, creating a middle section 2-3 inches in width running all the way down to the nape. Secure the sides with clamps.
- Braid the middle section all the way down the head.
- On the front of the head, slide the STITCH underneath the braid and taking a small triangle section of hair from the temple, feed hair through the eye loop and pull underneath the braid. Wrap hair around and STITCH through again. Repeat down the head 3 to 4 times
- Loosen up the loops to make the hair bigger. Lace and tease the hair with your fingers to create texture
- Secure with Style Link Style Fixer Finishing Hairspray
About: Matrix, the number one American professional hair care company in the world, is at the forefront of salon education and innovation, helping professionals build on and improve their skills while creating cutting edge, first-to-market products. Daniel used the Matrix Style Link styling line,Matrix Color Sync,and Matrix SOBOOST color lines to create these inspired looks – Style Link allows for total styling freedom and makes it easy for anyone to prep, play and perfect! Color Sync is the only Demi Color with Cera-Oil Priming Complex, now formulated with 2X more ceramides. It has 2x the conditioning that lasts up to 20 shampoos! SOBOOST is a color additive that provides colorists with four (blue, red, copper, and yellow) pure, bright tones for immediate intensifying or neutralizing effects.