The Fashion Director of Intercoiffure America/Canada, Van Council and his brother Michael launched the first Van Michael Salon in Atlanta, GA in 1984. Currently, there are seven Atlanta area Van Michael Salons with 370 employees that service over 100,000 clients.
His Top 10 Tips for Salon Owners
1. Continually invest in your staff’s education.
2. Continually invest in your locations; remodel minimally every five years.
3. Don’t get complacent; there is always room for improvement.
4. Never stop recruiting new clients.
5. Never stop recruiting new staff; attend career fairs, attend and participate in local shows to keep your name relevant.
6. Create a culture that drives success; reward achievements, instead of scolding bad behavior.
7. Create and enforce minimum requirements for service and retail for measurable results.
8. Use Zeezor to track your numbers.
9. Align yourself with a great product company like Aveda that shares your same vision and values and supports you every step of the way.
10. Remember your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
Want to learn more from Van? Find him at the Serious Business conference in New Orleans in January 2016.