For salon owners, the time between Thanksgiving and the new year are often about everyone else: long days pampering your guests followed by gift wrapping and trying to squeeze in quality time with family. Winding down from a stressful season (and an even more stressful year) doesn’t happen overnight, so It’s important to give yourself a few days of rest and relaxation to gain back control of your life and find your much-needed zen. So take a few tips from the below list and allow the madness to settle. And, it wouldn’t hurt to cultivate a few of these habits to take with you into the New Year...
1. Clear the books. Take a few days to slow down before the next rush hits. It’s OK to say “no” to plans and prior commitments. Take a staycation and enjoy a few days taking care of numero uno.
2. Catch some zzz’s. Turn off that dreaded alarm and get a few extra hours of sleep at night. Maybe even treat yourself to a nap! When you’re working 12-hour days and entertaining nonstop during the holidays, it’s nearly impossible to get a full night’s sleep. So take a few lazy vacation days when you can and allow your body to recover.
3. Power down. We’re willing to bet, if you haven't already, you'll be spending much of the holidays showcasing all your beautiful work on social media and connecting with clients, friends, and family with nonstop texts, calls, Facetimes and Zooms. Shut down your devices for a couple of days, or even just a few hours, to reconnect to yourself. Too much screen time can take its toll! With the right systems in place, like SolaGenius, you can keep booking appointments while you disconnect.
4. Get outside. Take in a bit of nature with a brisk hike or spend a few minutes making snow angels. Fresh air and a few minutes with Mother Nature is a surefire way to lower your stress levels.
5. Utilize essential oils. Essential oils are a natural stress reliever and do wonders for calming your mind. Create an essential oil roller with jojoba oil and a few drops of lavender, lemongrass, tulsi and ylang ylang. Roll it onto your wrists and temples to totally shift your head and heart space. Inhale, exhale, and enjoy.
6. Take a coffee break. How many cups (ahem, carafes) of coffee do you consume during the week, let alone when the holiday rush hits? It’s proven that warm beverages soothe the body, so try a relaxing cup of tea. Sipping some tea is a great way to relieve stress while boosting energy, immunity and digestion naturally. With a bit of honey, you’ll get an extra antioxidant boost to improve your immunity.
7. Soak it up. A hot bath is a perfect ritual to relax and unwind at the end of the day. Toss in a bath bomb and remember to breathe deeply while you soothe your tired muscles and detox your mind.
8. Get a massage. Plenty of research shows that massage therapy is an ideal stress relief tool. Book an appointment with your favorite Sola massage therapist or order one up at home with the Soothe app. Either way, you deserve to treat yourself before all the pampering you'll be doing for others this holiday season!
9. Create a calming environment. Your physical environment plays a major role in your overall mood. Take a break from bright lights with a few candles and by using dimmers in the evening. Add to the peaceful ambiance by turning on some relaxing music.
10. Practice gratitude. It’s pretty simple: Being grateful can actually reduce stress. Create a gratitude list for everything you are thankful for and say "thank you" to those who make your life amazing. Refocusing your thoughts on what you have instead of what you don’t have will cause a noticeable change in your overall mentality and mood.
Once you’ve allowed yourself to recover and you’ve found that much-needed zen, you’ll be ready to set your intentions for a successful holiday season and new year—no matter what curveballs are thrown your way.