Between social distancing and quarantining, everyone is turning to social media to stay connected. Now is the perfect time to learn how to take pictures that can and will generate business when life returns to normal. Here, salon owner and influencer Jessica Scott Santo shares her top tips for taking Instagram pics.
1. Outside natural lighting is key. It shows the true colors of hair versus inside lighting that can alter the tone. If capturing that perfect picture is not feasible, create a short video of brushing out the curls or something…get creative!
2. Make sure finish work is on point. The hair surface should be super smooth, reflective and not frizzy! Capture an eye-catching image that will make people want to STOP and stare at your page.
3. Posing can make or break a picture. Get inspiration from other accounts and experiment with a co-worker or friend to refine your posing style.
4. Choose an impactful cover image for videos. A cover photo has to be good enough to draw attention to want to watch that video! A blurry or even black cover photo will not cut it.
5. Keep the background simple. Don’t have busy stuff in the background—it's distracting and takes the emphasis off the hair. Try the App FaceTune 2, it allows the background to be slightly blurred, drawing more attention to the hair.
6. More is better. Take 100+ pictures of the same head at different angles and phases of the process. Tons of content can be generated from just one look.
7. NO EXCUSES! Make the time to take the shots. If a client is coming in, block 15 minutes of extra time to take pictures. One good post could generate five more clients in the door!