Teasy lights is a great technique to get a natural look with highlights, but in the process of backcombing, you're potentially tearing some of the hair. Redken Artist George Garcia shares a less-damaging alternative: split lights. Here are three ways to use the lightening technique.
BLENDED SPLIT LIGHT
- Take 1-inch section and one foil.
- Hold up the section at 90 degrees, and underneath pull through threads at the base with tail comb.
- Hold that section 90 degrees horizontally and do the same thing, for fine threads. You now have three sections: lower threads, core section and upper threads.
- Isolate the lower threads by place foil on top of the section.
- Drop down the core section, and clip away the upper threads. This leaves you to work with only the core section.
- Saturate the mid-shaft to ends with lightener.
- Isolate that section by placing foil over it.
- Drop down the upper threads. Isolate by placing foil over and clipping in place.
- When those threads are released, they’ll blend with the lightened section, giving it a natural feel. Let process.
DISCONNECTED SPLIT LIGHT
- Take a 1-inch section, and section out lower threads.
- Section and isolate the upper threads.
- Apply lightener on lower half of hair of lower threads.
- Cover with foil and clip in place.
- Drop core section down, and comb out upper threads with tail comb.
- Apply lightener on bottom half of core section.
- Place foil over section and clip in place.
- Drop down upper threads and apply lightener to lower part.
- Let process
CONNECTED SPLIT LIGHT
Along the part:
- Take a 1-inch section along partline.
- Place foil under the section and clip in place.
- Comb out lower threads, and section away rest of section.
- Apply lightener as close to scalp as you can, softly.
- Place foil over top to isolate.
- Release section and pull out horizontally at 90 degrees, section out upper threads. Clip away upper threads to work on the core section.
- Apply lightener at the round of the head, on the core section. Softly blend through.
- Isolate section with foil and bring down upper threads.
- Saturate hair with lightener from midlengths to ends, then blend through close to the scalp.
- Place foil over and fold in corners. Let process.
Other educational articles you might like: