If you’re a fan of hair painting, but looking for something other than balayage and sun-kissed highlights, this surface-only “air painting” technique from L'Oréal Professionnel artist Brooke Evans (@brookieney) might be your new favorite. “A surface-only paint is a beautiful way to paint hair without going for a balayage or sun-kissed look. Because you’re only painting the surface, what you are going to get is a light reflection,” says Evans. Watch as Evans demonstrates how to use the technique for this season’s favorite wine-inspired color, plus a new marigold color using L'Oréal Professionnel #ColorfulHair.
Get the Look:
Base Color: L'Oréal Professionnel 20 Volume Maji Crème Developer + Majirel 4.20.
Wine Gloss: first layer: 1/2 L'Oréal Professionnel Dia Richesse 9.11 + 1/2 Dia Richesse 4.20 + 20 Volume Diactivateur Developer. Second layer: #ColorfulHair equal parts Clear + Hypnotic Magenta + Caribbean Blue + Navy Blue.
- Working off the base color, use the natural part and whirl to decide the best place to add lightness.
- If working off a side part, take a diagonal section at the parietal ridge and section off.
- Working back-to-front, air paint by taking large sections and holding them taught. Paint from the mid-shaft focusing on creating heavy saturation through the top diffusing with any new growth. Make sure to only paint the surface and leave the ends unsaturated.
- Cover previous sections with plastic wrap as you work.
- For the top, pull the hair slightly over-directed backwards to give more surface on the interior of the hair.
- Let down the clipped section at the fringe and paint on the inside of the hair.
- Lift the hair to a level six to seven an underlying pigment of orange.
- Finish by doing a double-dip purple gloss.
Base Color: Fixed a previous color band with L'Oréal Professionnel 20 Volume Maji Crème Developer + 1/2 Majirel 5.3 + 1/2 Majirel 6.46 + Smart Bond. Follow with Sunkissed Lightening Oil and retouch new growth with Majirel 6.46 with 1/2 Majirel 5.3 to soften.
- Working off the base color, begin air painting. If working off a soft center part, come off the center and use triangle shaped sections in-between if needed. Cover with plastic wrap as you work.
- For face-framing sections, over direct face-framing sections back.
- Process for 20 minutes and follow with Smart Bond step two.
- Applying marigold color and process for five minutes.