Another New York Fashion Week has come and gone, but not without leaving its mark. While designers teased the fall season’s biggest trends, hairstylists relished the opportunity to showcase equally inspirational and wearable hairstyles. Here, a roundup of our favorites and how to recreate them.
Jenny Balding for Cutler Salon/Redken at Paola Hernandez
photo courtesy of Cutler
- Prep wet hair with Redken Guts 10 Volumizing Spray Mousse and directional blow dry up and back to create intense volume.
- Flip head over and gather hair into a high pony, combing up for a sleek look that sits at the crown. Secure the pony with an elastic.
- Mist Redken Triple Take 32 all over the top and ponytail to smooth and tame flyaways.
- If hair is long, gather lower section of ponytail (3in-5in from bottom) and secure with a velvet tie.
- Finish the look with a velvet bow headband.
Jon Reyman for Aveda at Chiara Boni
photo courtesy of Aveda
- Prep the hair with Aveda Volumizing Tonic and Thickening Tonic and blow-dry for extra volume.
- After twisting it back and securing with pins, finish the look with Aveda Control and Control Force hair sprays to hold the look in place.
Paul Anthony for Matrix at Sherri Hill
photo courtesy of Matrix
- Clean and prep the hair with Matrix Keep Me Vivid Shampoo and Conditioner .
- To volumize the roots while creating long lasting, touchable volume with no crunch, apply Matrix Style Link Volume Body Builder.
- Protect hair with Matrix Heat Buffer Thermal Styling Spray. Then, use a curling iron to create curls, let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Clean edges with Matrix Shape Switcher Molding Paste to control baby hairs and flyaways.
- Spray Matrix Volume Fixer Hairspray, then brush out to create voluminous, bouncy waves.
- To finish, spray Matrix Style Fixer Hairspray for long-lasting hold and shine.
Kien Hoang for Oribe Hair Care at Chromat
photo by @jcastillophoto
- Create a vertical center part from hair line to nape of the neck.
- Apply Star Glow Styling Wax to each section.
- Add Star Glow Styling Wax to fingertips and braid each section into a long Dutch braid; secure with an elastic.
- Apply Superfine Hair Spray to smooth flyaways.
- Secure flowers to the ends of the braids for a tropical touch.
Odile Gilbert for TRESemmé at Kate Spade
photo by Monica Schipper
- Start by washing hair with the TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shampoo & Conditioner to create a sleek and smooth foundation.
- Part hair in the center and use the TRESemmé Thermal Creations Blow Dry Accelerator Spray before blow drying hair. Using a round brush, pull sections of hair down firmly to create a smooth and sleek finish.
- Spray the TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Heat Protect Spray throughout to prevent damage and then use a large curling iron to gently wrap the ends of the hair inwards, creating a soft curl to add bounce and body.
- For girls with natural waves and curls, use a large curling iron to create tight curls. Spray hair with the TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Heat Protect Spray for added shine, then brush through curls to create a more natural look.
- Finish the look by misting the TRESemmé Compressed Micro-Mist Hold Level 4: Extend Hair Spray to keep the style in place and lock in the glossy finish, without stiffness.
Kevin Hughes for Moroccanoil at The Blonds
photos by Jason Carter Rinaldi
- On damp hair, use a dime size amount of Moroccanoil Treatment –or Moroccanoil Treatment Light for finer tones—to provide the perfect foundation for styling.
- Apply Moroccanoil Thickening Lotion for finer texture –or Moroccanoil Smoothing Lotion for thicker, natural texture, through the hair.
- Next, blow dry with the hair using Moroccanoil Professional Series Ceramic Hair Dryer and Moroccanoil Ceramic 45 MM Round Brush bending the ends of the hair to create a smooth voluminous effect, and then place the hair in a side part that lines up with the arch of the eyebrow.
- Spray Moroccanoil Perfect Defense throughout the hair to protect before heat styling and then begin to curl the hair, starting at the back with a 1 ¼” Curling Iron.
- Then, spray Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong throughout every 1 ¼” section.
- Next, pinch and twist around the curling iron and pin the curl in place. Once the curls have cooled, using a Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Classic Brush, brush out every section of hair.
- Finish the look with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong to hold waves in place.
Giovanni Vaccaro for Glamsquad at Lela Rose
photos courtesy of GlamSquad
- On damp to dry hair, start by applying Glamsquad's Full Effect Volumizing Mousse at the roots.
- Blow-dry using a Dyson Supersonic with a round brush, creating very little volume.
- Once hair is dry, create a strong side part directly over the arch of the eyebrow.
- Separate a diagonal 2-inch section on the fuller side part and create an S-wave using a one-inch curling iron.
- Brush everything back into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic.
- Wrap leftover hair around the elastic.
- Place three gold hair pins in the front of the fuller side part to accentuate the S-wave pattern.
- Finish with Glamsquad's Take Hold Flexible Hairspray to keep the style in place and apply a little of Glamsquad's Essentially Multitasking Oil on the ends for added moisture.