It's no secret, all hairstylists find themselves with tons of requests for vibrant-colored hair and whimsical long hair styles that enable our clients channel their inner mermaids. Luckily, doing all of the above has never been so easy. In today’s how-to, braid and updo queen, Jenny Strebe (@theconfessionsofahairstylist) walks us through this fun and Insta-worthy braided style. The best part? It can be done in as little as five minutes.
Get The Look:
- Use a rat tail comb to create a circle section at the back of the head and secure with an elastic to create a ponytail. Next, hold the base of the poinytail at the elastic and gently pinch and pull sections from the base of the ponytail to create texture and volume within the crown. Follow by braiding the ponytail into a simple three strand braid and secure with an elastic.
- To start the twisted pieces, take a section of hair from the front of the face and curl it with a one inch curling iron.
- Once the section is curled, twist it and then pinch and pull upwards to create texture and volume within the section.
- Starting at the top of the braid, use your fingers to open up a section of the braid and slide the curled and twisted piece through. Do the same thing on the other side.
- Continue with the same steps working down the braid until all the remaining pieces of hair have been pulled through.
- When getting to the bottom of the braid, hide loose ends by weaving them through the braid again. Continue weaving all ends through and then pancake the braid out.
- Finish by sliding the elastic out of the braid and gently backcomb upwards (as shown in video).