French, dutch, fishtail—no matter the type, women love braids. It's an effortlessly chic hairstyle and a great way for your client to wear second-day hair. This week, Ruth Roche, Global Artistic Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care demonstrates how to create a three-strand bamboo braid to accent a ponytail. She laces the base of the crown area to create big volume, weaves sections in and out of a three-strand braid to create a bamboo effect, overlays the braid on a ponytail, and then makes it super chic by covering the elastics with fine sections of hair. To see the process in action, check out the video below.
Three-Strand Bamboo Braid
- Start with a narrow, sectioned triangle on top, and clip it out of the way while securing the rest of the hair in a low ponytail.
- Take the sectioned triangle and lace it from the base up for added volume. Then reposition it in the center of the head above the ponytail and secure with a clip.
- Cover the elastic with a small piece of hair from the ponytail.
- Separate the top section into three, and separate from the rest of the ponytail
- Take a small piece from the outside of the right-hand section, wrap it over the right-hand side, under the center and over the left-hand side.
- Then, go in the opposite direction: from the left, go under the left-hand side, over the center and under the right-hand side.
- Continue repeating steps until desired braid is achieved and pin it to the ponytail.
About: Roche specializes in design/finishing trends and business – she’s as captivating in front of thousands as she is in an intimate in-salon setting. She is the winner of multiple North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) awards and has contributed to Milady’s Standard Textbook of Cosmetology. Stylists from around the world learn, grow and fuel their creative fire with her. She is an established celebrity stylist (Anne Hathaway, Claire Danes, Amy Adams, Pink, Jenna Fischer, Mariah Carey…) and maintains a loyal clientele at Cutler Salon in NYC.