Festival season is in full swing and one of the biggest challenges on the fairgrounds is locking in a cool, effortless look that stands up to the high heats, sweat and day-to-night dance parties. Here, our experts give you fresh inspo for getting your festival-goer in style and keeping her in comfort—and these long-lasting looks don’t involve any petals or risk wilting.
Dutch Braid Ponytail (top)
by Kevin Hughes, Moroccanoil Artistic Director (@hairbyeleven)
1. Apply Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse from roots to ends and rough dry.
2. Use a 1.5-inch iron to curl random sections of hair.
3. Create a large halo section centered over the crown and back-comb to build volume.
4. Smooth just the surface and use an elastic to secure hair into a ponytail at the lower crown.
5. Define the natural part in the front.
6. Begin a Dutch braid along the heavy side of the part by taking a 1-inch subsection and splitting it into three strands.
7. Cross the right strand under the middle strand. Cross the left strand under the middle strand.
8. Add a small subsection of hair to the right strand and cross it under the middle strand.
9. Continue until you reach the top of the ear. At the ear, stop adding hair to each strand before braiding so that the braid transitions from a Dutch braid to a three-strand braid.
10. Secure ends with an elastic.
11. Take a small subsection of hair from the ponytail to anchor the braid and secure ends with a bobby pin.
12. Apply Moroccanoil Dry Texture Spray and detail the ponytail to create added texture.
13. Spray Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong to set the finished style.
Cole calls this inspirational crown braid “Mr. Softy.”
Anthony Cole, International Sebastian Professional artist (@anthonycole1023)
“My favorite festival hairstyles are the fun, whimsical ones. They’re out-of-the-box and really reach down into your creative side. When adapting out-of-the-box looks for your client, you must completely take the core of the inspiration and bring it into the style you’re crafting for who’s sitting in your chair.”
by Sarah Malinda Vondracek, Sexy Hair artist (@beautymarkedbysarah)
1. Spray Style Sexy Hair 450 Protect from root to ends. Using Sexy Hair Curl Lock Pro 1” Ceramic Curling Iron as a wand, wrap one-inch sections of hair around the barrel alternating each curl.
2. After curling entire head, lightly spray Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray to hair from roots to ends. Blow dry on a low setting, scrunching curls to give a more lived-in appearance.
3. Section out a three-inch wide vertical section starting at the high point of the head behind the ear. Use Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Paste for control and start to fishtail braid.
4. Use Style Sexy Hair Spray Clay product aggressively on the braid for grip and texture. Starting at the bottom of braid, begin expanding the braid by using your thumb and index finger to pinch and pull it apart. Work up and down braid until desired fullness is achieved.
5. Gather all hair behind right ear to create a low ponytail. Tie off with a clear elastic. Wrap a small piece of hair around the elastic to hide it and secure with a booby pin. Finish with Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Touchable Hairspray.
About: Keep up with American Salon on Instagram by following @american_salon. Use #AmericanSalon and #AmericanSalonSelfie on Instagram to show off your pics with us. Follow us on Facebook at Facebook.com/AmericanSalon. Tune into the American Salon Stories podcast and subscribe (iTunes link, Android Link) to hear from a new inspiring industry guest each week. And be sure to sign up for Your Daily Beauty Fix e-newsletter at www.americansalon.com/