For today’s how-to, Jenny Strebe (@theconfessionsofahairstylist) works with Oribe’s Director of Content and Training, Kien Hoang (@kienhoang), to create this twisted barrel curl look with dry waves. Originally shown at Cinq à Sept’s SS18 presentation for New York Fashion Week, this style incorporates mixed curl patterns for an airy, fluffy feel. The look was inspired by a 1900’s circus team traveling around Italy. Check out the video for the step-by-step to recreate this ethereal look.
Get The Look:
- Create a middle part and prep with a teardrop of Oribe Supershine Light Moisturising Cream through mid-lengths to ends and a light mist of Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray around the crown.
- Section the hair into two, creating the top section running down in front of the ear, and leaving the rest as the bottom. Spritz both sections with Oribe Imperméable Anti-Humidity Spray and then clip away the top section.
- Using a 1-inch Hot Tools 24K Gold Marcel Iron begin curling the bottom section, gently twisting each piece before feeding it through the iron to create a twisted barrel curl. Coil into Bantu knots to set.
- For the top section, use a ¾-inch Hot Tools 24K Gold Marcel Iron. Curl forward and down the parting and around the hairline, spraying each section with Oribe Imperméable Anti-Humidity Spray. Set with duckbill clips.
- For the rest of the sides, curl backwards and set with duckbill clips to change the curl pattern.
- Once set, release the curls and run through with fingers. Then, use the tip of a Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush to brush curls around the hairline and at the top of the crown to blend.
- Spritz the crown with Oribe Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray and create dry C-shaped waves at the roots using a heat resistant comb and a ¾-inch Hot Tools Classic Gold Marcel Iron. Spray with Oribe Impermeable and set with duckbill clips.
- Finish by brushing out the top and underneath with a Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush.
- Massage the top of the style and lightly distribute Oribe Swept Up Volume Powder Spray on the crown and tap into the ends of the hair.
About: Oribe Hair Care was founded by renowned editorial and celebrity hairstylist Oribe and beauty industry veterans Daniel Kaner and Tev Finger with the goal of creating a new kind of hair company, one that was designed with the most talented salon professionals and the most discriminating customers in mind. When developing the line, we didn’t want to compromise on any detail. We leveraged skin care technology and natural actives to deliver high-performance, treatment-based products—all while never forgetting that healthy hair is the underpinning for sexy, glamorous styling. Each product has been tested at length on set, backstage and in the salon to ensure that it delivers results, leaving us with a best-in-class collection that truly meets the needs of the hair-obsessed.