When it comes to creating party-ready styles, clients typically want something chic, soft and most importantly, voluminous. To help you get through the holiday season, SalonCentric’s beauty ambassador, Daniel Mason Jones (@danielmasonjones) demonstrates a soft and voluminous blow out and a textured updo that will have clients feeling pretty in no time at all. Watch as he shares his fast, fun and effective techniques for creating the styles on finer-haired clients.
Get the Look:
Look One: Soft and Voluminous Blow Out
- To help prep fine hair that won’t hold a curl, create a foundation using L'Oréal Professionnel Hollywood Waves Spiral Queen and Hollywood Waves Waves Fatales.
- Use a 1.5-inch iron to create curls. Set in clips on a 35-degree angle going back to create a strong voluminous look at the top of the head. Spritz with Hollywood Waves Sweetheart Curls and leave to set for 30 minutes.
- Remove the clips at the sides and back. Gently comb through the ends and backcomb the roots in vertical sections following the angle of the curl set.
- Remove remaining clips from the crown and style with a deep side parting.
Look two: Textured Upstyle
- Clip away the hair at the crown.
- Lightly spray the sides with Techni.Art Infinium 3 in the direction of the hair growth. Smooth the sides with a comb, and secure into a ponytail above the ear using a hair bungee.
- Release the crown and backcomb the roots in horizontal sections going towards the front.
- Smooth the top back and smoke Techni.Art True Grip through to create texture. Divide the crown into three horizontal sections and starting from the back, gently twist the lengths into a soft rope braid from the mid-lengths. Blouse the braid and wrap it underneath and around the ponytail, securing with a pin.
- Take the second section and loosely rope braid from the mid-lengths. Use pins to secure the braid, laying it over the back.
- Backcomb the third section to reinforce volume and loosely braid. Smoke Techni.Art True Grip underneath and blouse. Secure over the back with a pin.
- Divide ponytail lengths into three and loosely rope braid each, securing with clear elastics. Add Hollywood Waves Waves Fatales cream through the ends and blouse the braids. Finish by gently pulling wisps out around the hairline.
- To upgrade the style, insert an open pin midway through all three rope braids and tuck them up underneath the nape, securing with bobby pins.