Naeemah LaFond, editorial stylist and global artistic director for amika, was the mastermind behind the hair on the runway for Christopher John Rogers's FW2020 show. Together, the Brooklyn-based artists collaborated to create three hairstyles inspired by topiary art—defined geometric and fanciful shapes.
Look 1: Topiary Glam
- Create a part at the arch of the eyebrow. All of the hair in front of the ear on the fuller side will be flat wrapped towards the face using the Le Marcel Curler (1.25”), and then pin curl. The hair in the back is curled under and pinned to set, spraying with Fluxus Touchable Hairspray as you go.
- Working in 1-inch sections starting at the nape, lightly backcomb the hair and spray the section with Vandal Volume Powder Spray and lightly with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray then smooth and shape with grooming brush.
- On the front heavier side backcomb the hair on top at the root for extra lift and drama. Tuck the lighter side of the front parting behind the ear. Style the glam waves in place using a smoothing brush that’s sprayed with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray to support the look.
- Finish the look by smoothing flyaways and baby hairs with a tail comb sprayed with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray.
Look 2: Topiary Curly Texture
- Braid hair down in four braids close to the hairline and cover with a net cap.
- Pin two large hair donuts, one on each side of the head using long straight pins and long bobby pins.
- Attach three hairpieces one on top of the crown area and one on each side. Use a sewing needle and thread to make large strong stitches to secure.
- Shape the bottom of the hair and shape the bangs.
- Secure the look with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray.
Look 3: Topiary Straight Texture
- Part hair in half-inch rows starting from the back.
- Backcomb section by section for volume. As you get to the top, less backcombing is needed. Backcomb from underneath the section to not make the teasing visible.
- Apply Vandal Volume Powder Spray to create volume.
- Finish the style with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray to secure the look.