While hair salons are closed, you may be looking to treat your hair to a little bit of TLC at home. Kevin Hughes, Moroccanoil artistic director, says now is the perfect time to give yourself a hydrating mask—something some may forget to incorporate into their regular hair routine.
"Even if you don't have this fantastic mask at home, you can create one yourself," Hughes says. Here, he shares his go-to recipe for an at-home hydrating mask, or what he likes to call the "supercharged hair mask."
How to make it:
- Place your coconut oil in a glass bowl in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, this will melt it down so it is applied easier and more evenly to the hair
- Once melted, mix in your honey and Moroccanoil Treatment/Argan Oil
How to apply it:
- Section your hair into 4 sections,, take 2-inch wide sections and with your hands apply the mask to your mid lengths to ends.
- Gently comb through that section so it spreads the mask evenly.
- Continue this until it is throughout the hair. If you have long hair, pull it up into a bun on top of your head and then place a shower cap over your hair.
- If you don’t have a shower cap you can use saran wrap (ensure to keep it away from your face for safety) or even a plastic grocery bag.
- Leave this on for about 20-30 mins, shampoo out of your hair and follow with your normal conditioner.
- The coconut oil is full of vitamins and essential fatty acids, which is wonderful for your scalp as well as the hair.
- The honey is a natural humectant, meaning it maintains the moisture in the hair.
- The Moroccanoil Treatment contains Argan Oil and is rich in tocopherols (Vitamin E), essential fatty acids as well as antioxidants, which all help to hydrate and nourish the hair.