In the past decade, we’ve seen a variety of blonde trends, “from ombré to balayage to a subtle, sun-kissed look to foilyage,” says Marco Ferrari, master colorist at Roche Salon in Washington, D.C. and Canale Salon in Beverly Hills. “Foilyage creates a gorgeous blonde, and offers a wider range of blonde tone options because it gives the colorist more control of color lift, and dramatically reduces the maintenance and upkeep.” Today’s leading haircare companies are making it easier than ever to achieve the perfect shade of blonde and leave hair looking natural, fresh and healthy.
Good as Gold
Stock up on the latest and greatest products that make it easy to look like a natural blonde.
1. Paul Mitchell Blonde Blue Oil Lightener System is a mild gel formula designed for on-and-off scalp lightening and off-scalp foil lightening on fine or fragile hair. paulmitchell.com
2. Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Vario Blond Super Plus Powder is a dust-free formula that provides up to eight levels of lift with less breakage due to integrated Fibre Bond technology. schwarzkopf-professionalusa.com
3. Wella Professionals FusionPlex Amino Refiller is an in-salon service that gives lightened strands some much-needed TLC, penetrating the cortex and refilling the hair with amino acids. wella.com
4. Keratin Complex KeraLuminous Permanent Color is a new range of 100-percent oxidative color that delivers gray coverage and rich, vibrant color results, including superior high-lift for blondes. It features technology that combines advanced keratin and ceramides for longer-lasting, even color, and a proprietary botanical blend of oils and butters to help protect against sun damage and restore health to the hair. keratincomplex.com
5. ProRituals Bluelight Powder is a blue-based lightening powder that provides up to six levels of lift (with a 40-volume developer). With a mix ratio of 2 to 1, this lightener produces the desired level of lift with less damage. prorituals.com
6. Scruples Power Blonde Lightening & Toning System consists of 9+ Lightening Powder that helps strengthen and maintain existing cortex bonds while achieving up to nine levels of lift; Balayage Clay Lightener, which allows stylists to color with precision and create custom applications; and Conditioning Gel Toners, which are ammonia-free gel formulas designed to process at a slower pace for long-lasting, full- coverage tonal deposit. scrupleshaircare.com
Treat it Right
Help clients stay beautifully blonde with these at-home products.
Neuma NeuBlonde Platinum Detangling Rinse helps to gently soften and smooth hair, and protect it from stretching and breaking while combing. It’s formulated to enhance brightness and shine. neumabeauty.com
Rusk Deepshine Boost Color Depositing Conditioners are available in four true-tone shades—Cool Blonde, Beige Blonde, True Red and Chocolate Brown—that are fortified with marine extracts to help seal the cuticle, and repair and strengthen hair. They also help to refresh color, enhance shine and condition. rusk1.com
Redken Color Extend Blondage Shampoo and Conditioner help fight brassiness that comes with blonding and lightening services. They’re formulated with pure violet pigments to neutralize brassiness and a triple acid protein complex to strengthen the hair for less breakage. They also help maintain a brighter and stronger blonde color. redken.com
Truss Deluxe Prime Blond is an in-salon service or at-home spray treatment that was developed with a special blend of violet pigments that neutralizes color without dehydrating hair strands for the perfect platinum effect. It also helps promote hair’s elasticity and strength. usa.trussprofessional.com