In the midst of a world-wide pandemic, it can be hard to stay positive. The future is both scary and unknown, and the news is a constant reel of alarming information.
Olivia Smalley, a hairstylist and social media guru, is shifting her typical content plan and using her platform to share tips and advice with fellow hairstylists in this time of uncertainty. Here, she shares 8 simple ways to stay positive:
1. Asses what is most important. Please remain kind and remind others to be kind as well.
2. Figure out how you can add value and positivity to someone else's life. How can you help someone else right now?
3. Don't let fears hold you from your goals. Start getting creative on how you can create another income for yourself. Create a plan if you're out of work and try to stop spending money.
4. Use a meditation app. I use Calm when I'm feeling anxious—it's a quick 3 minutes of my day. I'll do it while driving, on my break or right when I wake up in the morning. It absolutely shifts my mood.
5. Stay informed, but do not feed into the media monster. Watch a movie or read a book!
6. Phone a friend or family member you haven't spoken to in a while. Ask them how they're doing and remain positive. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
7. Watch your words. Words make a big difference in how you feel AND in the way others perceive you. For example, when someone at work asks how you are, instead of saying "I'm so stressed and busy," try something light-hearted like "I just had the best conversation with my client. How's your day going?" This will naturally lead the conversation—and your mind—to a more positive place.
8. Community over competition. As a community, remember that we're all working through this together. Support your local hairstylists and offer advice when you can.
Should you need advice or someone to speak with about the current situation, Smalley is making herself available for the rest of March and April to field questions. "I encourage people to reach out to me," she says. "No question is too big or too small." You can find her at @omgartistry on Instagram.