There's no denying that curly hair needs extra TLC when it comes to products, but it also requires a special armory of tools. Miko Branch, CEO of Miss Jessie's, recommends these six essentials for curly girls and guys.
- Wide-tooth comb. Always detangle a head full of matted knots with the right moisturizing conditioner, first with your fingers then very gently with a wide-tooth comb. Practice patience, and love on your tresses.
- Microfiber towel. Ditch the regular towel and soak up the excess water from freshly washed tresses by patting it with a microfiber towel, never rubbing curls.
- Hair clips. Before applying a hydrating styling product, use sturdy hair clips to section textured hair. Ensure product is spread evenly, and don’t go overboard with the amount of product.
- Diffuser. Air dry is always the best dry, however, a blow-dryer diffuser attachment can also be used on curls—just make sure to set the dryer to low, and stay away from the scalp.
- Spray bottle. Refresh a crown of curls with a refillable bottle that offers a continuous fine mist of water. You won’t soak the entire head, and feel free to add a little bit of oil to add shine.
- Silk or satin pillow cases. Replace the cotton pillowcase that pulls on hair with a silk or satin one that is much more gentle, and helps maintain curls' natural oils.