You could be the most skilled esthetician in the world, but there are other factors that influence the experience your client receives. Here is a list of five of the most overlooked ones—you’d be surprised how much they impact your business.
- Make sure your treatment room is spotless. Sanitation impacts your customer retention and credibility as a spa business. For the sake of your reputation as a professional, and for sanitary reasons, always make sure that your facial room is spotless and it is a clean environment. Use an autoclave for sterilization of all tools, perform a proper clean up before and after services, and if you’re performing depilation, do not double dip!
- Act and dress the part. A first impression will influence a client’s perception of their overall facial experience. If you want to be recognized as a professional, you must act and dress the part. Your hair should be pulled back, your nails short and manicured, and your makeup applied conservatively (less is more). Each client should be greeted with a genuine smile, good posture, and a gentle but firm handshake.
- Perform a proper consultation before each treatment. Pre-treatment conduct a skin analysis on your clients to ensure you will perform the proper kind of facial treatment. Post-treatment, provide proper at-home skin care recommendations. This is necessary so your clients can continue the benefits of their facial treatment at-home, and this will influence how they judge their facial experience with you.
- Triple check that all of your equipment works properly. This one may seem a little obvious, but it is key! Always double check before administering a treatment that all equipment you will be using is working properly. Equipment malfunction mid-facial seriously affects the quality of your client’s experience.
- When you’re not with a client, get educated. This happens outside of the treatment room, but impacts each facial experience dramatically. Take advantage of skin care education opportunities that may be offered by your product manufacturer, online, or at tradeshows so you can bring methods and scientific knowledge to the facial room. This will allow for a better facial experience for each and every client.