In our August issue of American Salon, Janine Jarman, owner of Hairroin Salons in New York City and Los Angeles, shared her City Brides collection with us in honor of her new e-commerce and education portal parlourh.com. The bridal looks featured in the article—which celebrated a variety of brides, from the minimalist to the traditionalist—also have instructional videos, detailing how to create each style. If you haven’t checked them out already on our Youtube channel, give them a look—there’s something there for everyone.
No bridal article would be complete without a traditional French twist. So for todays how-to, we’re showcasing an updated version of this often-requested bridal look. And, to add drama and a contemporary flair, the stylists at Hairroin Salon incorporated a braided accent, making it the perfect look for a traditional bride who wants a more modern silhouette. Scroll down to see how you can recreate this look.
Get The Look:
- Prep hair by lightly misting Davines This is a Medium Hairspray throughout the crown of the head.
- Using a rat-tail comb, take a teardrop section on the top of the head starting from mid-forehead to just below the crown. Clip away.
- For control, spray the remaining section of hair with more of the Davines This is a Medium Hairspray.
- Using Parlour H’s Pin Kit, locate the large and medium size bobby pins.
- Comb bottom hair towards the middle, making sure to keep hair smooth as you go. Secure with a large bobby pin vertically and follow by placing medium sized bobby pins at an angle on top to make sure the style is locked into place.
- Using a rat-tail comb, section away the hair in front of the ear on the opposite side.
- Take the remaining lengths from your pinned section, and backcomb close to the base of the head.
- Twist the hair into itself and secure with large bobby pins facing into the twist to secure.
- Take the hair that was sectioned at the side near the ear, and fold over the center of the twist. Pin into place.
- Let the top of the hair down and gently back brush sections on the top for volume. Loosely braid, pulling the sides apart as you go to create texture. Secure with a clear rubber band.
- Twist the braid and pin into place running down the other side of your twist. Tuck ends in and pin to secure.
- Finish by using your rate tail comb to shape the direction of the hair on top.
About: Janine Jarman is a nationally renowned celebrity hair stylist and the founder of Hairroin Salon LA & NYC. After graduating beauty school, Jarman steadily built a loyal client base until she was bit by the entrepreneurial bug in 2005. She purchased a failing salon and immediately re-branded and re-opened it as Hairroin Salon. In the meantime, Jarman has built her reputation as a go-to stylist for many celebrity clients, including Christina Applegate, Brittney Spears and Carmen Electra.